RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold Frig.model N3150 and its driving me

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** ***** have a Norcold Frig.model N3150 and its driving me crazy...the issues are while its working good sometimes it just quits for no reason other times its runs just fine, its in a 2016 winnebago view an was replaced once by the previous owner...when parked it has to be drop dead level or it won't cool....just an agrivateing problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your Norcold fridge?

Maybe im thinking maybe 3 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I've owned it for about a year and it seems to act up most times i use it just never know when....the air flow going up to the top was blocked off and i took out the blocking and it seemed to help spme but still having issues,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

What will be the cost to connect to a technition

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
10/11/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your levelling system.  I should be able to assist you with this issue.    Randall

Do you have the User's Manual for this model?  And do you have or can you come up with a small digital multimeter for some testing like the one in the attached photo link?  About $20 or so and easy to use and found at most local hardware stores.  Randall

When this happens are you plugged into shore power or dry camping?  And are there any error codes showing on the display when this happens?  I am adding a link to the Norcold Trouble Shooting Guide for you from ARP.  Maybe print that out or bookmark it so you can come back to it again later.  Randall  https://www.arprv.com/norcold-n3104.php

Multimeter photo link:  http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

And one more thing here.  Is this installation in a slide out or not?  Randall

Not in the slide out, also no light codesI had a Dometic I. My truck camper for 14 years with never an issue, but these new chemical refers with no compressor do not seem to work as wellAlso it seems to work fine if it's perfectly level so I don't think it's any electrical issue, just can't understand why it has to perfectly level and I mean perfectly level

This is true.  That is why we are seeing more and more 12 VDC models with compressors.  Most installations just have to be within 3 degrees.  I think perhaps it would be a good idea to give Norcold Customer Service a call and discuss this with them.  I have never heard of one that had to be perfectly level.  Let me know what they have to report.  Randall

Ok, I will check with them and let you know what they say...thanks

That would be most appreciated here.

hey Randall, tried contacting Norcold, they do not offer any help for trouble shooting only refer to the nearest service center, this problem is a difficult one as this fridge has a mind of its own, just quits foe what ever reason, mostly seems to stop when parked, almost seems like a leveling issue.....so aggrivating ....have had several rv's and never this problem, the fact that it was replaced in a motorhome with less than 20k miles tells me that it may be a issue with these chemically operated rv units, never owned a Norcold before so I'm not liking this product to say the least.....its taking the fun out of our trips

Nothing in the manual suggests anything like that.  I think there is a conversion kit out there to convert it over to a compressor system.  Maybe look into that.  Randall

Do you maybe have a link for that..not sure. Where to start...thanks

I will have to find it.  I think those are by JF Refrigeration.

Thanks gor for getting that

Was that the right outfit for these upgrades?  If not, I can look when I get home.  And you are most welcome!

not that i could tell

I will take a look after dinner.

See this link for one.  I don't know if this is still available or not.  Call them.  https://norcold.com/product/norcolder-scqt-4408f-refrigerator-conversion-kit/

This is the other company I was thinking about:  https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I think this might work if you have room for it:  https://www.thetford.com/part/norcolder-scqt-4408f/

Thanks much I will research this, much appreciated

You are welcome!  Have a good evening.