RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Thanks, not cooling. Lights all indicate it is operating.

Hi and thanks, *****...

Hi and thanks, ***** ***** Lights all indicate it is operating. Both on 110 and propane but it is not cooling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Power light is green . Mode light is A/ electric. And cold setting is max/5 stars

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 Jayco Melbourne

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am camping and when I left home Friday I had filled it with ice packs to cool and turned it on 24 hrs prior to leaving. I checked fuses and all seem good

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It is model N8X

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 12 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to give the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am CT every day. Who am I helping today?

While on propane, is the burner flame on, and are the condenser coils on the back getting hot?

I am not sure how to check that. But I am taking the cover off now. I am at camp and plugged into 110vI just changed mode to propane and removed cover. I dont see an observation area to see flameMy name is***** for helpingI can hear the flameThe coils are "cool", but not cold to the touch.The coils are definitely not hotThe guard/stack around the flame area is heatedI can definitely see flame now.Chris? You still there?

Bill, leave it running on propane for at least 2 hours. Then open the fridge and see if the freezer floor is beginning to cool. If it is not then the fridge likely has a refrigerant leak. If it is starting to cool then leave it this way for this trip and we can diagnose a possible circuit board or electric heating coil failure later.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

How long should it take for the coils to heat? Not hot yet and it's been 15 minutes.

A room temp fridge will get fully cold in 8-12 hours. They are very slow. As long as the flue around the flame on the right side is getting hot, then the coils are being heated.

RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 11 months ago

It's been a couple of days since you replied. I am going to mark your question complete for now. If more help was/is needed, please reply and let me know.

We slowly24 hrs got cold on propane.
I am going to plug the camper in , on the shoreline. And see if the electric works.Is 24 hours too long to finally get cold? Could it be low on refrigerant?

24 hours is too long. That can be a refrigerant leak or a faulty reading thermistor in the top of the fridge.

Should I have it serviced?

These are sealed for life systems. If there is a leak, the fridge has to be replaced or an aftermarket cooling unit installed.

Do I take it to the camper dealer? It is still on warranty.

For sure take it in for warranty work, so the repair will be free.

Ok. Thanks

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic