RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Generator running but inverter not on no power to the coach…

Generator running but inverter...

Generator running but inverter not on no power to the coach try turning all the GFI’s on there on checked all the circuit breakers there on any suggestions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent trans box is kicking in

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Tiffin Open Rd., Allegra 2019.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Try tripping all the GFI’s on again turning all the circuit breakers back on tried turning the inverter on magnum says it’s at 5 V battery dead we’ve been driving all day without a problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Try tripping all the GFI‘s on again turning all the circuit breakers back on tried turning the inverter on magnum says it’s at 5 V battery dead we’ve been driving all day without a problem. When the generator goes on the transfer switch you could hear a pop and turn on

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

The power is split AC power and DC power.

The outlets TV and microwave are strictly AC power, the rest is DC power unless you have a residential style fridge.

The first step is to check if you have AC power to the outlets microwave and TV, if you do NOT have voltage to them then check the breaker on the generator, the generator will still run if the breaker is tripped, after that you need to verify AC voltage going in and out of the transfer switch.

IF you do have AC voltage to the outlets, TV and microwave then it sounds like the inverter has failed, the inverter should charge the batteries when the generator is running or you are plugged into power.

Possible if the transfer switch is the problem that the batteries may charge when you plug into shore power.

Might want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can come to do some testing, if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you should get a listing of techs in the area.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked the AC power to the outlets not on we do have a residential refrigerator. If we go to a campground and plug into sure well that run the refrigerator and the other appliances and the air conditioner?

IF the inverter can charge the batteries then yes and that would point towards an issue with the transfer switch. IF not I would see if a mobile RV tech can come to you and diagnose.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unable to find a tech today will have to go to a campground till tomorrow

Understand, I can only tell you the possible problems. The low DC voltage is an issue and tells me the batteries are not getting a charge, with NO AC power in the RV then it could be the transfer switch is not allowing the AC voltage past or breaker on the generator.

What you can try is shut the generator off, shut all the breakers off inside the RV and then start the generator THEN turn on the breakers inside the RV. Sometimes if you de-energize the transfer switch and re-energize it may unseat the transfer switch.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The transfer switch is taking about 10 to 15 seconds seconds to kick in

That would be normal it can take up to 45 seconds.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok