RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I'm trying to find out how it takes to replace all the fan…

I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out how long it takes to replace all the fan belts on a 1989 Winnebago chieftain with a 454 big block Chevy

9/30/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is Randall and I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!   I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the time to replace all the belts on your 454 GM engine.  I should be able to assist you in sorting that out.  Randall

It depends on how many times that person has done this job before to some extent.  If the person who is doing this is skilled and competent then I am going to say between an hour and an hour and a half should be sufficient.  That allows time to get the old ones off and get the new ones off and adjust the tension.  This will vary some, but that should be close.  I am not sure what the Flat Rate manual gives for this job and I don't have access to one.  I hope this proves helpful here and points you in the right direction.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does this apply to a 1989 Winnebago chieftain.My guy who is looking at it says it looks like a big job that could entail an entire day

You best get someone else then.  That doesn't take all day.  Call around and get some other quotes.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks I appreciate your help. I will check around.

Check with some local RV shops or dealers or truck repair shops.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good idea thanks

You are most welcome!  I would be interested in what kind of time this actually takes someone that you get to do this.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this could be very interesting I will let you know

Thanks!  I would appreciate that.  Please be safe out there.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification