RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The fridge does not cool on propane, I have measured the…

The fridge does not...

The fridge does not cool on propane, I have measured the wter column of propane at the control valve and it is good. I noticed that after initial start up that the flame is strong but diminishs in a few minutes. My guess is that the solenoid that opens the valve is failing. Is that solenoid supposed to get too hot to touch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

Norcold NX8 2021 I have had it 1 year I bought it new (the motorhome)

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I am not sure how long the problem has potentially been going on. I went on an over night trip in late June and it worked fine, I went on another trip this past weekend and it failed to function on propane. While plugged into house power the fridge worked great but when I converted to propane it gradually failed, the flame appeared to decrease the the temp went up in the fridge. The voltage at the gas valve is over 12 volts and like I said the propane supply is adequate based on a water column test but the solenoid got hot real fast and that is when I noticed the flame diminshing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I would like to know if the propane valve solenoid is supposed to heat up (too hot to touch)

9/27/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!   It just showed up here in the RV section so I don't know where it has been for a few days!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your fridge not cooling on LP mode.   I can assist you with this issue.  Randall

Which "solenoid" were you referring to hear?  The coil on the gas valve?  If so, then that is defective and needs to be replaced.  Rare that happens!  If this is NOT what you meant then please explain further here.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's exactly what I ment thanks I am ordering a new gas valve assembly, hope it fixes the problem

It should.  I can't recall the last time I saw a bad gas valve!  See the attached link for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual for this model.  Print it out if you can so you have it.  Great stuff in there!  Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as we have no time limits on any of our follow ups.  Randall  https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/639410C_SM_Polar_N7N8-1EN.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well that sounds like my luck, this fridge and motorhome have been a trial since I bought it. First the fridge wasn't getting adequate power, the dealer finally listened to me and fixed it then 3 microwaves later that was fixed then 2 weeks after warranty ran out this happens

Fortunately, they are not that expensive or hard to change out yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right, gotta get it fixed so I can go Elk hunting in a couple of weeks

Absolutely!  I remember those days when I lived up in the Idaho Panhandle area.  Miss those times!  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He responded as soon as he could, he was knowledgeable and understood my issue, I hope what we came up with is the answer

Me too!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification