RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My not old N8XL is turned off but the freezer is staying…

Customer Question
My not old N8XL...

My not old N8XL is turned off but the freezer is staying cold and forming frozen condensation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Who makes your freezer? How old is it?

Norcold RV N8XL

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your freezer? What have you tried so far?

Since I returned from a quick trip two weeks ago. It is a new trailer. I got it in July. If I unplug everything from the power, it quits, but plugged in the light is off, the frig part is cold, and the freeer starts humming and forming ice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Sorry, the frig part isn’t cold.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
9/24/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to give the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am CT every day. Who am I helping today?

While experiencing this. Is the camper plugged up to shore power?

Is the propane burner ignited and burning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Katy Keller. It is plugged into electrical power and propane is available as well. When I turn it on it starts off green, but immediately starts blinking red. However, the problem is the freezer keeps freezing even when I have the unit off. The only way I can get it off is to unplug the entire trailer from power.

Hello, Katy

While experiencing this. is the propane burner ignited and burning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not one I have to light. Two tanks on front and it can be switched manually from the mode button. I think it is supposed to switch automatically, but I have not yet gotten it to do that.

Thanks,

So that means while your fridge is off, it is still cooling because of the AC voltage is heating the heating element on the back of the fridge at the condenser coils. This will be to blame on a faulty circuit board on the rear of the fridge.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I unplugged the power to the entire trailer the freezer thawed out, so it isn't the gas connection. Only the freezer is cooling, and this is a brand new trailer!I already have to take it in for service? It is 2 months old.

The repairs I mentioned needed will be covered under warranty based on it being new. Sorry, you are having this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.

Glad to help. In the future, if help with new concerns is needed and you want me to help. Open a new question at www.justanswer.com then write "For Chris-aka-Moose ONLY" at the beginning of your question.