RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a norcold rv fridge (getting Rv ready for trip next…

I have a norcold...

I have a norcold rv fridge (getting Rv ready for trip next week) and I just noticed fridge is not cold and light is not on (had fridge set low and keep on)... The green ON light is solid and then flashing 6 times which is not in the manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The green ON light set in power mode NOT gas mode. It is on steady than flashes 6 times and repeats

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2012 Forest River Rockwood Signature ultra light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying myself but I don't know what the code for 6 flashes means... check the power supply and the plug has power. No breakers were tripped but tripped all off and then back on. AC unit is working as well as all lights etc

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

What do you mean by connect me with Mechanic? and nothing I can think of

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Someone calling or text?

9/23/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Norcold fridge.  I can assist you with this issue, but it would really be helpful here for me to have the model of your fridge first. Thanks. Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Randall

Good afternoon!  May I have the model number of your fridge please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Manual is for Norcold N61X and N81XCan I tell you what's going on before calling?

Most of these Norcold models are using that to show a "No cool" situation for some reason.  It can be caused by low DC voltage to the control board or some issue with the cooling unit.  Being out of level will do that.  That is one of the most common reasons.  And open up the outside inspection panel on the rear of the fridge and take a look around the base of the flue area and burner and tell me if you see any yellowish debris in that area.  That would be sign of cooling unit failure.  I am adding a link to the Norcold Service Manual for you.  Print it out if you are able to.  Good information in there!  Let me know what you find and we can go from there. Randall  http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The green light is solid and then flashes 6 times which not in the fault codes... fridge was plugged in and working just fine for months in covered storage so I would not think being level or not just now kicked in...hello

Did you miss my earlier response and questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave you the model number to answer your question and then gave you the fault codeare you saying that flashing 6 times is the "no cool" code?I also don't see being unlevel as the problem bc it has been parked in same position all yearfridge was working until today

I would start by having the battery(s) load tested and be sure that they are viable since being plugged in all the time usually runs them out of water.  Once that happens they are usually toast.  Most places that sell batteries can do this for you.  If the water levels are high enough that the plates aren't showing then maybe you are o.k., but you should get a small digital multimeter for testing the DC voltage and the charging voltage when you are plugged into power.  About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use.  I will get you a link to the board reset for this.  And yes, that is a "No Cool" code.  Randall  http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

See this link for the reset procedure.  It varies depending on which control board you have.  If you have a 628661 board then use the one for later models.  Print this out so you have it.  http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/newreset2.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to recap... I should check my RV battery to make sure it is still good (ie load tested) and then move to doing a board reset? Also, would the fact that the fridge light is not working be a battery issue? and therefore the possible problem?also would it make a difference to run the fridge in "gas" mode? or I am guessing the battery is still required, correct?

I suspect so, but use the meter to check that.  The controls take at least 12 VDC for this to operate in any mode.

Take a photo of the battery(s) and cables so you are sure to get it (or them) back in the same way.  Easy to get this wrong if you don't.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry in case you missed it LOL I am not a mechanic by nature... so the picture of the meter is to test the battery? instead of taking it to a store? gotcha on battery photopic of meter you sent me... is that to test battery? I am thinking taking it to store would be better for me... smile

The multimeter is for testing the DC voltage and NOT the batteries.  The charging voltage out of the converter should be between 13.6 and 14.2 VDC.  The meter is shown set up for testing this.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks sir... can I try these things and then reach back out if I have any other questions... even if that is tomorrow?or consider going the phone call route?

Sure.  No hurry here as we have no time limits.  I can make you a phone chat offer and you can wait until you decide about that whether to accept that or not.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
found a very small red reset button under the cover of the outside fridge unit. hit reset and gas ignited, green light is no longer blinking and fridge light is now workingany trouble shooting thoughts as to what might trip that reset? only thing I have done over the last two days is get the water lines up and running from winter shut down (yes is has been a bit since we last took a trip out)going to run it on gas first to confirm cooling that way then switch back to regular power supply and assuming all will continue fine...

Not sure why that would do that, but good job!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Can you add a photo of that for me please?  I don't recall seeing that on one of these before.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My uncle is very knowledgeable as well on lots of things plus RVs... while working with you, I was trouble shooting with him too. He said it is kind of not know thing and hard to find... how do I send you a pic?

Add that to your response here please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
here you go... surprised?

That is the high limit switch and I wasn't aware that Norcold was using those.  Most of these are only on Dometic models.  Good to know!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thoughts on what would trip it?I can avoid that again... but hopefully that is all it takes

Low voltage or higher heat on the flue stack.  They do go bad and I would keep a spare around.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks sir

You are most welcome and thanks for getting back to me with that photo.