RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My water heater is hot from the outside release valve but…

Customer Question
My water heater is...

My water heater is hot from the outside release valve but not hot on the indoor faucets

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the heating system, or are you also having issues with the A/C? Do you see any coolant leaks?

No coolant leaks and the A/C is working fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2107 Fleetwood Bounder 35K

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

When I turn on the water pump the facet water is hot but not the shower

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/12/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

OK

If the water coming out of the pressure relief valve is hot but you are not getting hot water to any of the taps inside the RV you could have a failed check valve or the bypass valve for the water heater is not in the proper position.

Most water heaters will have a hot, cold and bypass valve, the hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the pipe. The valves are normally located opposite of the outside access panel so you would have to go inside to that area and pull some drawers, false panel etc to get at the valves.

The water heater also probably has a check valve, below is a link for a picture, the check valve can be plastic or brass and screws into the water heater and then the line connects to it. When the spring and disc fall out it can block the flow of hot water. The check valve will have tiny arrows on if for direction of flow, they are normally installed on the hot side or top of the tank where the hot water comes out of the tank.

Also if you have an outdoor sprayer make sure the valves are shut, have seen some issues when they are left open and the water mixing.

Robert

I do not offer calls, the company Just Answer does for an added fee, a call should not be needed as you can respond back to this as needed.

I do want to point out this applies to the most common water heaters if you have an Atwood XT model or a tankless water heater please let me know.

Robert

I left the outside water sprayer on. Turned it off and now have hot water. Thank you very much

Good job, that does not get checked very often and I am glad I mentioned that.

Have a great Sunday!

Robert

Thanks again

NO problem at all!

Robert