RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold N611 does not work with gas or electrical. It just…

Norcold N611 does not...

Norcold N611 does not work with gas or electrical. It just stopped working

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean the coils at the bottom or back of your Norcold fridge? How old is it?

It is in a 2008 Winnebago Outlook. Can't really get underneath. I have removed the access panel outside and vacuumed out the space.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold vacuum? What have you tried so far?

The fridge quit working last week. I have checked all breakers and fuses. Gas tanks are full and electrical is good. I have not pulled off the electrical panel cover yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that i can think of

9/10/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Is the fridge turning on at all? Is the display panel and interior light turning on?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the display panel and light both work.

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just an LED on the front control panel

YES, please allow me several mins to respond, lots for me to type out once I start typing I can not respond until I am done.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

This will not be a fuse problem as the fridge is turning on.

When you diagnose a cooling issue you want to run the fridge on electric for 12 hours and then on propane for 12 hours. IF you have the same issue on BOTH sources the thermistor or cooling unit is the most likely problem.

One end of the thermistor sits inside the box on a back fin, the other end plugs into the connector that is shared with the light. What you can try is disconnect the connector (with the light) and let the fridge run for several hours, when you disconnect the thermistor the fridge should go into a FULL cooling cycle, if the box does get cold then I would replace it.

The cooling unit is also suspect for no cooling on both sources. Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution if the cooling unit ruptured or the circulation stops you loose cooling.

For a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the the back side of the fridge.

For a blockage ( circulation stops) you might not have any symptoms at all, the fridge appears to be working but is not cooling. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced or a new fridge. Sometimes tapping on the cooling unit coils with a rubber mallet or pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end and letting it stand upright level for several hours may help, no guaranties.

Always make sure the fridge is level as that has impact on how the ammonia solution circulates around the coils.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic