RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2019 Norcold N7V RV refrigerator, which is

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2019 Norcold N7V RV refrigerator, which is apparently running on electricity. I say apparently because I don’t notice any hot exhaust coming out anywhere outside the trailer, though I don’t know how to switch between propane and electric on the fridge. As an aside, I would prefer running it on electric for now. Anyway, the issue I’m having is the freezer works fine but the fridge is warm. Can you help? Thank you! -Paul

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your Norcold fridge?

2019

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I just bought the trailer and have never used it before. I pressed the on button on the door and it lit up green and I waited for an hour or so and noticed the freezer was super cold, I.e., ice film forming on inside walls but the refrigerator is room temperature. The inside light works.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, I think that is everything. Thank you so much for your help!

9/9/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Norcold fridge.   I can assist you with this issue. Randall

Is the fridge level?  It has to be level in order to cool properly.  And how long has it been since this fridge was last in service?  Sitting idle for long periods of time can tend to allow the cooling fluids and gases to separate and then it acts like this.  I would turn the fridge off and allow the flue in back and the cooling unit to completely cool back down to ambient temps and then once this is level go ahead and start it up again.  Give it about 3 hours to stabilize.  Then let me know what is happening.  I am adding a link for the Norcold Service Manual for this model.  I would print it out and keep it handy.  I hope this proves helpful here and points you in the right direction.  Randall  http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold_polar_n_series.pdf

I am heading into my store and will be offline for about 45 minutes.  Randall

Thanks Randall, I will give it a try!

Please let me know how this works out.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi Randall, thank you for the quick response! I went to the trailer to follow your instructions and low and behold the fridge had started working on its own, which goes along with what you said about it takes time for the coolant to stabilize. Thank you for your help! -Paul