RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We recently purchased a kodiac 28ft travel trailer. When…

We recently purchased a...

We recently purchased a kodiac 28ft travel trailer. When generator is not running, the refrigerator is still supposed to be working via propane. Not staying cold. Does this need to be serviced?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2017 Kodiac by Dutchman. I need a moment to get model

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your Model?

How would I find that out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Electrical outlets get really hot when trying to use

9/3/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Do you happen to have the make and model of the fridge? Should be a sticker inside the box.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The refrigerator came with travel trailer. The travel trailer is currently in storage. We just returned from vacation and it was a cooling problem when the generator was not usedDo I need to wait to ask questions when I return to travel trailer?

I can give you some basic info to check and then you can respond back at anytime for this.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds great!

IF the fridge is working good on AC power (plugged in or generator) and it is not cooling on propane the first step is to see if the flame is going, under the outside access panel you will see the vertical pipe the heating takes place, bottom of the pipe is a metal inspection cover that will come off, under this cover is a the burner tube and electrode, the propane comes out the burner tube and the electrode sparks the flame. IF the flame is NOT going get an air nozzle and blow out the tube really good, sometimes bugs and debris can get inside. The electrode should be 3/16" over the burner tube.

IF the flame is going and the box is not getting cold after 12 hours but is working on electric then I would have the propane pressure tested at the back of the fridge with a manometer, most mobile RV techs and shops will have that tool to check the pressure, it is the first item that should be checked if the flame is going and you have no cooling but the fridge is cooling on electric.

Get me the model number whenever you can, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll be heading out fit another trip next weekend. I'll text you once we are able to look at it all. Thank you

Sounds good.

Have a great weekend!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You too

Thanks!

Robert