RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I live in my 5th wheel every and everyday if I have the ac…

Customer Question
I live in my...

I live in my 5th wheel every and everyday if I have the ac on I can’t have anything else plugged in or it trips the beaker how do I fix that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Would that cause the braker to trip if it’s low on Freon?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Its a wilderness

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Flwetwood I think 94

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fleetwood?

1994

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What power source are you plugged into? Are you plugged into a standard 110 outlet? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord you plug the RV in with?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in a trailer parkIt hooks to a 220

OK

First off in a RV if you have a 50 amp cord 4 prong it is two hot legs of 110 volt coming into the RV to equal 220 volts, not 220 direct, 220 direct can cause damage to the RV. Sometimes owners will plug into a welder or dryer outlet and that causes big damage.

IF you live in a trailer park and other RV's are using the AC units the power supply in the park can go down and that may cause problems. IF at all possible I would try and find another RV park and plug in to see if you have the same problem to rule out the park you are at.

IF you are plugged in direct with the cord and are not using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord a 50 amp service should be more then enough to run the AC unit and any other appliances, if you are using 2 AC units then you do need to manage the power as each AC unit can draw up to 16 amps so if you have two units going then you are at 32 amps already. What you may want to try is run the fridge on propane and if you are running the water heater on electric run it on propane to reduce the load being used in the RV.

The power converter will also pull amps and if the batteries are in poor condition the converter will work harder and pull more amps, might want to have the batteries load tested as well, the less the converter needs to work the less amps that are going to be pulled.

Might also want a mobile RV tech to come out and check the electrical system, if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you should get a listing of techs in the area. IF you are missing a hot leg of 110 volts coming into the RV it would be a problem.

Robert