RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refridgerator maintains about 52 degree cooling although…

Refridgerator maintains about 52...

Refridgerator maintains about 52 degree cooling although freezer seems to work. installed 2 extra fans at top which make a difference for awhile but no longer.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Looking it up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, all that was done was to add the two small fans attached to the top which we viewed on you tube.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I'm having trouble locating the model, etc. info, but it is a double door unit in a Montana 5th wheel. Sorry,

8/31/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now have the model, etc. # model no.RM1350SLMXmfg no.###-##-####at this point all we have done is install two fans at the top of the unit. no evidence of amonia, etc leak.the freezer seems to work but the fridge part only cools to 52 degrees and does not fluctuate much. I also added a mylar cover to the outside wall of the rv but had no change.

Normally if you have the same issue on both propane and electric the thermistor, fans, cooling unit or possibly the door seals are at fault.

Get a dollar bill and shut it between the seals, the bill should not want to fall in any areas, if so it is just an area where warm air can get inside the box.

Some models will have fans on the back side of the fridge up high, if your fridge is in a slide out it should have them, I do beleive the RM 1350 does have them and you should hear them cycling on and off.

The thermistor is also suspect, what you can do is ohm it out with a volt meter, below is a a service manual link see page 19, one end sits inside the box and the other end plugs into the circuit board under the outside access panel, the cover comes off the board.

Finally the cooling unit, the cooling unit has an ammonia solution inside of it, when it stops circulating or slows down you can loose cooling in the box the freezer can still be working fine. What you can try is tap the cooling unit coils on the back side of the fridge and then let the fridge run several hours and see if the box cools.

Robert

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM1350.pdf

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic