RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a domestic fridge that won’t cool o gas or ac even…

I have a domestic...

I have a domestic fridge that won’t cool o gas or ac even though I have burner going on both settings

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

Domestic Americana. 20 years

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

A week all fuses are good and flame is present in both ac and gas mode

8/31/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the exact model of the Dometic?

Should be a sticker inside the box, probably going to start with a RM then number.

Thanks, Robert

For starters when you are plugged into power and it auto the fridge should work on electric, if the circuit board does not sense the AC power then it defaults to propane. The fridge uses DC power to turn on and work, this means if the outlet the fridge is plugged into does not have voltage it will default to propane. IF the outlet has voltage unplug it and locate the circuit board on the back side of the fridge, the cover comes off the fridge and will expose some fuses, one fuse is for the DC side which allows the fridge to turn on and the other is for the AC side, if the AC fuse is blown the fridge will default to propane.

The next step would be to ohm out the AC heating element, if the AC heating element ohms out good, you have good AC voltage at the outlet and the fuse on the board is not blown then I suspect you have a faulty board.

You have to try running it on both sources for at least 12 hours to diagnose a cooling problem, it is possible you have other issues but the first step is to try and get it going on electric.

Robert

IF you need more help with this please let me know, I will be in and out today. When responding back get me the model number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I think I got it figured out, yes the burner would run on propane and AC power just fine , I m pretty sure I got a ammonia leak , after opening up the burner area I found a small pile of yellow dust down under it, That is usually what that means correct?

Yes that is an indication and if the box does not cool on electric or propane would confirm a cooling unit issue. IF it cools on one source and not the other then not going to be a cooling unit problem. As a general rule you want to try running the fridge on each source for 12 hours and see if it cools on one source and not the other, if you get no cooling on both sources then the cooling unit is very suspect. The yellowish powder could very well be the ammonia solution has leaked out. Many owners will opt for a new fridge as a cooling unit cost more then 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more to install a cooling unit vs swapping it out with a new fridge.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic