RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2007 RV and a nearby lightning strike blew out the…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 RV and a nearby lightning strike blew out the AC to DC converter so I'm trying to run the fridge on the Gas setting on a 12 AGM battery. Do you know how much DC current it will be drawing and is there a way to switch it to AC power? Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

It's a Norcold, unfortunately I don't have the manual here at home for the model #. The trailer is a 2007 so the fridge was probably manufactured in 2006.

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Norcold refrigerator?

Well as I said I've been running it off a 12V battery and propane I'm just trying to figure how long it will run before discharging the battery and if there is a way to switch it to 120V AC which I have at the site.

8/29/2021
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy

Good morning welcome to Just answer my name is James.

Does your fridge have a auto setting? if so switch it there and it will go to ac setting if there is ac available at the 110 outlet.

RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

If you have a automatic small battery charger hook it up to the battery and it will maintain it until you get converter fixed. ,Also check converter for blown fuse there is usually 2 40 amp fuses that protect it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I normally set it to Auto but thought that would drain too much DC power so that's very helpful. I did hook up a battery charger directly to the 12V on the Converter which worked for a couple of days but then it seemed to create a fault in the charger (I could here a relay clicking or something). I brought the battery and charger back home with me and the battery has charged normally so I'm not sure what the issue was.I'll look for the 40 amp fuses next time I'm at the trailer. Thanks for your help!
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Hook charger only to the battery.

Thank you for the question.

RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

You are welcome.

James Davy