RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Furnace won’t light. Blinks 3 times then a 3 second delay.

Customer Question
Furnace won’t light. Blinks...

Furnace won’t light. Blinks 3 times then a 3 second delay

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Of the furnace power board on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Iys an Atwood 8531 -iv its

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ignition control diagnostic has 3 flashes and a 3 second delay

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/28/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

The code you are seeing is ignition lock out, several items or components can cause this it will be a process of elimination.

To start if the RV has been sitting get an air nozzle and blow out the exhaust really good, sometimes mud daubers can get inside the burner and make nests, when this happens the furnace may not fire off. Typically you see this if a furnace was not run all summer.

Next go to the propane tank and shut the valve, slowly open it up, sometimes if the supply valve on the tank is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you may not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve then run a stove burner for several mins. IF the propane pressure was off it can cause the ignition lock out fault.

IF you have good propane pressure then the board and electrode are suspect. The board can be tested by a local RV shop/store with a special board tester, if the board test good I would start with replacing the electrode as that sparks the propane and sense the flame and will tell the board to shut down.

Also verify the DC battery voltage AFTER the fan kicks on make sure the voltage is not dropping below 12 volts DC.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It lights, blows warm air for about 6-8 seconds then shuts off. It does this three times then shuts offSorry, the fan blows the whole time

Yes I told you what to look for, I will repost my response.

Robert

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to test the board without going to the shop? Quite cold out tonight

NO you can inspect the board for burn marks but beyond that a tester is needed, if there was a way I would have told you.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, we've never met and I've never used this service before, I was just making sure there were no other alternatives. For future responses. The reason I came to this service is because I'm not a tech and am a rookie at this stuff. Now my family is going through a very cold evening with no furnace. So you can't really blame me for asking a few times and confirming. Maybe don't be so sharp with your responses. I'm not asking which gum is better or if I the difference between tap water and purified water. Not all techs are as thorough as you, so us dummies may ask a few times for confirmation. Have a good evening.

Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions or concerns, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert