RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1996 coachman catalina lite camper with an Atwood…

I have a 1996 coachman...
I have a 1996 coachman catalina lite camper with an Atwood water heater that I can't get the pilot to light. I haven't used the water heater in a couple years. I cleaned out the burner tube and still nothing. It's a brand new propane taflonk also. And what is this lever for?
8/26/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are having an issue with your water heater.  First, go to your stove and light all the burners on the stove and check for a good blue flame.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so I don't have a stove installed anymore inside. We got rid of it bc we are renovating the camper as we are staying in it while our house is being built.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.  Are you having to light the pilot manually, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it won't light
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Try and hold your lighter on the thermocouple.  That is the narrowing rod above the burner.  and see if the gas valve will open.   Try tapping on the gas valve itself since it has been setting for a while, it could be stuck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if this is even the correct area, where exactly do I ligh
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
light*?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I cannot see any videos.  Can you take a picture of what you are seeing please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry my phone has been automatically taking videos instead of photos.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it still sending as a video?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

yes.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you get it to light?

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

What you might try and do is get a new thermocouple.  They will sometimes come as a burner and thermocouple together.  When you install the thermocouple on the gas valve, finger tight and a 1/4 turn with a wrench.  There is no gas going through the thermocouple.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91603-Pilot-Heater-Assembly/dp/B004QN2TII/ref=asc_df_B004QN2TII?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80607997944586&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-**********&psc=1

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's what I figured.. is there anyway to make it work until a new one gets here?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Not that I am aware of.  The thermocouple is what sends the signal to the gas valve to open the main line.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

you can use a universal thermocouple one from a hardware store.

KevinS121