RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Why I cannot get my water heater to heat up the water? No…

Customer Question
Why I cannot get...

Why I cannot get my water heater to heat up the water?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No everything looks normal. It was working fine last week.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2021 Jayco SLX 195rb

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. So far I turned off the 3 way switches inside. I checked the fuses. Look ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thank You

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/25/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are having an issue with your water heater and no hot water.  What might be happening is the water heater by pass valves are still in by pass mode.  You will need to look at the back side of the water heater for a single valve or a combination of 3 valves.  You will access the back from inside the trailer.

Since it was working last week, then the bypass is not the problem.  Are you trying to run on gas or electric?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know where to look I am inside the rv
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Can you take pictures of what you are looking at and I will try and pinpoint where the problem might be.

Are you plugged in or working off of battery only?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kevin I took a picture. Can not send. I will go outside and take a picture
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am plugged into 30 Amp, also using propane. Neither is working
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The middle switch is the gas side.  Make sure your LP tanks are open and the needle is pointing toward one of the tanks.  Light all your burners on the stove and check for a good flame.  Then turn them off and then turn your middle switch on and go outside and see if it starts sparking and you get a flame.