RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39L that the furnace is…

I have a 2005 Fleetwood...
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39L that the furnace is leaking gas into the exhaust. With the furnace in the off position I tested the exhaust with a propane sniffer and it went crazy. Nowhere else on the furnace had a leak. Could it be the valve that the gas goes into?
8/24/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are trying to track down the gas leak on your furnace.  If the furnace is off, and you are getting a gas smell, then it is probably the gas line going to the furnace attaching to the gas valve.  If you have some soapy water or a gas leak detector solution, you can put it on the fittings and see where it starts to bubble, that is where your leak is at.

You can take the outside cover off and have easy access to the gas valve on the furnace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a gas detector and none of the fittings have a leak. Only leak that sets off the detector is when I stick it in the exhaust
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Take that cover off of the exhaust and you will see the gas valve and the connections that go to the burner chamber.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I’ve got the cover off. I see the valve that the gas line goes into but none of them fittings are leaking. Unless there’s a fitting in the exhaust that I can’t see
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

did you just run the furnace recently?  It is possible that the burner chamber could be full of wasps or mud daubers.  We get them all the time here in Texas.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea I’ve checked that all around that valve and fittings. Only time my leak detector goes off is when I put it in the exhaustI thought maybe there was a check valve in the valve body that wasn’t closing completely.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Shine a flashlight in the exhaust and see if you see any signs of critters in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I’ve looked in the exhaust from the outside but I wasn’t looking for critters
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Where are you located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pineville Louisiana
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

You have mud daubers in your area, they are wasp that build nest out of mud.

They love the smell of propane.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea we do but would that cause the leak
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

What they do is build nest on top of the burner and inside the burner chamber trapping the gas inside and cause it to linger.  If you see any signs of them, do not turn your furnace on till you clean them out which will require pulling the furnace apart  and removing it to wash them out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But it leaks without using the furnace. If I filled the propane tank up it would leak out through the furnace
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

It could be residual lp smell that has been trapped.  If you have the gas off, then you will not get any signs of a leak.  But if the gas is still in the chamber, then your sniffer could be picking it up.  Try this, with the gas off, turn your furnace on and let the blower motor run for a little while.  You might have to cycle it a few times, because the furnace will shut down after the 3rd attempt to light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The valve shouldn’t open to allow gas into the furnace till you cut the heater on. Right now my tank has been empty for about a month. If I check it now it won’t detect any gas in the exhaust. But if I was to fill the tank up within a few minutes it would detect gas in the exhaustThat’s what’s confusing to me because I’m not turning the heater on so the gas shouldn’t be in the exhaust. There’s no leaks at the connections at the furnace or anywhere else on the coach.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The gas valve might not be closing, the solenoid on the valve could be faulty allowing the gas valve to stay open all the time.  I would suggest changing the gas valve first before doing anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That’s what I was thinking but didn’t know if they would go out like that.Any suggestions on how to get this unit out
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

You will need to take the flange off of the front, disconnect your gas line and push it back out of the way.  Disconnect your wiring on the opposite side where the pc board is at and remove the board.  then you can get to the wires just outside of the furnace.  Disconnect the hoses from inside and pull it out.  What is the model number, I will try and find a service manual to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model number of the RV or the furnace?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

the furnace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I’m not sure but I can get to you tomorrow. Where is the number located?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

It will be on the blower motor housing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I’ll get that tomorrow for you. Thanks for the help.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure.  talk to you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I am on line when you are ready.

KevinS121