RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2016 Sunstar LX all 3 slides extend/retract in 6-9 inch

2016 Sunstar LX all...

2016 Sunstar LX all 3 slides extend/retract in 6-9 inch movements. Replaced all batteries 2 months ago. Tried resyning slides but they move in even amounts not with one side of the slide different from the other. Any ideas on what could be affecting all 3 slides? Is there one controller for all 3 slides or does each slide have its own?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Batteries are new, volt meter shows 13.1 volts. No leakage indicated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Working on it myself. Changed batteries and tried resyn each slide.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that I can think of.

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/23/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your slide out.  I can assist you with this issue, but are these Lippert Schwintek models or some other make slide out?  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought the RV new and according to the operator's manual it is a Power Gear in Wall Slideout System. It is a rack and pinion design operated by a 12 volt DC electric motor.

Those actually have two motors.  There is a method to resyncing the slides and a good video on that at the Lippert website.  I would go take a look at that and do like it shows and see if that corrects this.  See the attached Service Manual link for the list of those variations.   They go by the controller number.  Start there.  Randall  https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/master-owners-manual/ccd-0001573-10.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have viewed the video and have gone through syncing the slides. All three slides extend or retract about 6 to 9 inches then stop. Repeated activation via the switch moves the respective slide another 6 to 9 inches until it is completely extended or retracted. What could be causing this on all 3 slides at the same time? Is there any component common to all 3 rooms -- beside the battery?

That is almost always due to low voltage.  You can't run multiple slides off of just one battery.  That just won't work.  You need a least two full sized 12 VDC batteries or better yet is two 6 VDC golf cart batteries hooked up in Series to make one 12 VDC "Unit" using two batteries.  That sounds like the biggest part of the problem here.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced all batteries (2 coach and the engine) about 2 months ago. I replaced them with identical batteries removed from the rv. Two deep cycle coach and a 500 amp for the engine. Voltage does not appear to dip when slides are operated.

And yet it gives that exact symptom.  I would take a meter and actually measure it under load when the slide is moving and see what that shows.  About the only other cause I have seen that causes this same symptom over the years is that the circuit is wired up with a wire gauge that is too small and it causes the circuit to overheat and the shortstop breaker opens up and causes the room to stop.  When it cools down in a few seconds you can move the room again as before.  So testing it UNDER LOAD is the only really good way to tell here what is happening.  And please keep in mind that lots of new batteries fail and so we never want to assume that can't be the source of the problem.  In the shop we load test the batteries first to be sure that is part of the problem.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This may seem like a dumb question, but because all the directions I have read or heard concerning slides to include the video you recommended it says to be sure the engine is running when energizing the slide. I assume ,therefore, that the engine battery is used to move the slide and not the coach batteries. Is this correct?

Not so.  It is the house batteries.

At least in about 90% of the installations.  See what kind of voltage you have there at the motor leads when you are attempting to move the room.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay will give it a try in the am.

That works.  I will be around.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fine

Have a good evening.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks back at you.

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification