RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Frig works fine sitting in the yard, while traveling the…

Frig works fine sitting...

Frig works fine sitting in the yard, while traveling the temp constantly rises in the frig, when you stop it will cool back down

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

N302.3 15893588 It is in a 2012 Lance camper This is not a new problem but I keep trying suggestions and nothing helps Has been doin this for the last 3 years or so Sure would like to figure it out

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your refrigerator?

Cleaned around pilot light, has a nice blue flame

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Have checked door seal, i run frig on propane while travelin

8/20/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are having an issue with your fridge not cooling while going down the road.  Are you running on gas by chance and is your battery being charged by your truck while traveling?

When you are sitting still, are you still running on propane?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is being charged, frig works well while stopped on gas or elec I never use dcoutside air temp has a direct impact
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.  it is possible that the flame is being blown out while traveling and then relights when you stop.

I have been known to add an extra shield to block the wind from the flame and solved this problem before.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont think so, i can stop and get in camper and the flame indicator gauge will be in the green Also the freezer section always seems to stay frozenI have a digital thermometer in frig so I can from cab of truck, temp rises slowly the whole time u drive As soon as u stop the temp will cool back off in a couple hours
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

How much is it rising?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I drive all day,(we travel more than we camp) the temp will usually be up around 50 in frig section, everything in freezer will still be frozen with no signs of thawing
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Look at your ventilation on the back of the fridge.  Make sure it is within the specs on this manual.  Look on page 34

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/867/Installation-Owners-Manual.pdf

This is a link to to the service manual that might help you as well.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Norcold-Refer-Model-N300.3-Service-Manual.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the Installation/owners manual but don't see a page 34I will look at the service manual but just at a glance everything looks ok
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Look at your ventillation requirements.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This frig has been this way for a couple of years, does ok if I travel in colder weather but does not tolerate warm temps Noone else I talk with seems to have this problem and I can't find a service person that has helped yet This is a factory installed unit in a Lance camper I will look at ventilation more thoroughly
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

It is on page 34 of the document that I sent you.  Page 10 or 11 in the installation manual that you have.

This is the only information that I have on these units and what I have encounter in the past.  You might want to contact Norcold and ask them about it.

https://norcold.com/contact/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sure you know what your talking about but the service manual that opens up for me stops on page 14I would love to talk to Norcold, u ever tried to do that?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Look on this manual.

Yes, I have, and no they are not easy to talk to.  Even as a tech trying to get through is difficult.

KevinS121