RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

This is a model number for a 82 norcold refrigerator it has…

Customer Question
This is a model...

This is a model number for a 82 norcold refrigerator it has a switch up by the refrigerator freezer doors when does the light the other switch I don't know what does but I can't get the refrigerator to work

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Norcold fridge? How old is it?

1989 I believe model number 482

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I I just got it about six months ago really just now trying to use it but I don't know what that one switch does between the freezer and refrigerator door the rest of the switches are down on the bottom

Mechanic's Assistant: The Appliance Technician can help you find the model number for your refrigerator; I'll connect you shortly. Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Wonderful

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/18/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 70,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Norcold fridge.    I can assist you with this issue. Thanks!  Randall

Let me get you a link to that Service Manual and I think you are talking about a dehumidifier switch.  Only use that in really damp climates.  Some of those were under recall so best check and see if yours was upgraded or not.  Norcold has a recall phone number.  Randall  http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/n400.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't give it to work on gas or what I don't know if it's 12 volt also but I don't think so

Best be sure that it isn't under recall first.  Only 120 VAC and LP mode.  See that manual I gave you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think I've received a manual it is a model number 4 82

All the 400 series fridges are in that same manual.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think I received a manual can you please send it again
Okay I know for a fact I have 12 volts running to the refrigerator I know for a fact I've got it turn 2 and 120 volts I know for a fact I have 120 volts going to it the back of it is really getting warm but it doesn't seem to be cooling the inside of the refrigerator yetAbout four or five hours that way
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 months ago

Start by finding out if the cooling unit is good or not.  I think it has lost the hydrogen charge.  That would account for the cooling unit and flue being warm and yet not cooling.  Make sure that the roof vent is clear of any debris.

Is it a big deal to get the hydrogen chargedhow long should it take before it starts getting cold

It can take up to 6 hours.  Rebuilding a fridge that old is not a good idea since most of these parts are no longer available.

It would cost you over $500 to rebuild that.

What would it cost you to put hydrogen in it

It has to be done by a rebuilder.  Not something just anyone can do.

For your regular heating air condition guy do it or just need to be by a service technician at RV Center

See the attached link:  https://rvcoolingunit.com/Norcold-Cooling-Units-remanufactured-C4434.aspx

They come ready to install.  But, if something else goes wrong after that then what?  You might not be able to get repair parts!  Not a good idea here.

You have to buy them already rebuilt.

Can you tell me where

I gave you that link.