RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Shore peer to the ac does not work. The ac works with the…

Customer Question
Shore peer to the...

Shore peer to the ac does not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

The ac works with the generator not shore, seems a transfer switch is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

99 Windsor

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Windsor?

1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windsor yourself? What have you tried so far?

Shut down, switch reset, checked all legs of the shore power , reset all breakers, shut off inverter. Have 110 to all of the plugs

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

You are on the right track with this, the key here is everything works with the generator which tells me the problem has to be from the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) back to the supply source. Try this to start, shut off all the breakers inside the RV and then go unplug the shore line, shut the breaker off at the supply post, plug back in and turn the supply breaker back on and then the breakers back on inside the RV. Sometimes if you deenergize the ATS it may allow it to reset.

IF that does not work you will have to locate the ATS and see if you have voltage going in and coming out of the ATS, if you have AC voltage coming in and nothing on the output side it has failed. location is difficult for me to say, sometimes they are inside a box next to the shore line and other times they can be inside, behind the breaker panel, under the bed, in a cabinet on the floor in the bedroom. BOTH the shore and generator cords will go directly to it.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did not reset the power transfer is a Esco es50m

So if you have AC voltage on the input from the shore line and nothing on the other side or output side then it has failed and would need to be replaced.

One thing I did not mention is the power source, when troubleshooting make sure the RV is plugged in direct, no cords or adapters as they can cause issues, if you were plugging the RV into a standard 110 house outlet it would be a big problem. I understand if this is not the case but did want to mention that.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is 110 voltage to the wall plugs and fridge

That may be coming from your inverter, the inverter would not power the AC unit as it pulls to many amps. IF the inverter is in INVERT mode then AC power is being made from the inverter not from the shore power source.

The key here is everything works off the generator so that tells me the wiring in the RV is good from the ATS, has to be an issue at the ATS or the cord or the supply source.

Need to confirm the AC voltage in and out of the ATS one side is shore power one side is generator power, and then the bottom should be output.

Robert

Below is a link for you that will take you to a page that has links for troubleshooting that transfer switch.

Robert

https://www.escousa.net/technical-documentation/transfer-switches/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ATS shore power side plugged to 220 and ac in on position and not running
L1 L2 & L3 have 120v in and T1 T2 & T3 only 40volts out all 3When the gen side was on and ac running L4 and L6 were hot at 120v and T4 & T6. White T5 no v

If you have 120 volts in and 40 volts out the transfer switch would need to be replaced.

Robert