RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Dometic refrigerator freezes food regardless of where

Dometic refrigerator freezes food...

Dometic refrigerator freezes food regardless of where thermistor positioned. Had in shop and they couldn’t correct. New board didn’t work and has new thermistor installed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Cruiser MPG 22.5.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?

Have no idea. Where would air filter be located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Self. Had in RV repair shop for a month for this and several other items

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Well, I even switched the vane the thermistor slides on

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

This is very odd as 99% of the time when the fridge freezes the food the thermistor is at fault, the other 1% is the circuit board.

I would make sure the thermistor is properly connected to the circuit board, the reason being is if it is not connected properly the fridge will default to a FULL cooling cycle and that would cause the food in the box to freeze. The connector plugs into the circuit board under the outside access panel, it is a two wire connector, the cover comes off the board, possible it got knocked off when the cover was put back on or not hooked up. Remove the cover and then unplug and plug it back in, leave the cover off and run the fridge, such an odd issue with both components being replaced that makes me wonder if it is not connected to the board. The thermistor should be near the bottom of the fin for warmer temps and up on the fin if you want it colder.

I can not think of anything else beyond the board and thermistor that would cause this and have never seen anything else or failed component beyond the board or thermistor to cause the box to freeze.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will go check it out. Is there an air filter on the fridge?

NO air filter on the fridge.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

IF at any point the board sees the thermistor is not connected it will default to full cooling, so if the thermistor wiring is being bent or the plug is not making contact with the board then the fridge will default to full cooling, they are set up like this so the food in the box does not spoil. Maybe try running the fridge with the cover off the board. Be careful when removing the cover, on the board is an AC fuse and you do not want to touch that with the fridge plugged in, I might unplug while you take the cover off, safety first!

Robert