RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold refridgerator. freezer works great, refridgerator is…

Customer Question
Norcold refridgerator. freezer...

Norcold refridgerator. freezer works great, refridgerator is hot. no faults.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 jayco jayflight 34 kfds. fridge is norcold n811rt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked vents, check fuse panel and fault lights and visual check under and behind fridge. moved thermistor left 3 fins. cleaned and defrosted everything

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Interesting. checked manual but didn't come across that. the light in the fridge comes on and fault light solid green

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I think thats it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
7/28/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

This may not be good news if the freezer is working and you have the same issue on BOTH Sources.

Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and it needs to circulate around the coils when you loose circulation the box will stop cooling, the freezer will always get cold long before the box even has a chance to so it is VERY possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer working, once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced.

Some things may help clear a blockage, get a rubber mallet and locate the tubes that zig zag back and forth on the back side of the fridge and give them a good tap, sometimes this can help with the circulation, driving over bumpy roads may also help. Finally pulling the fridge flipping it end over end and letting it stand up right level for several hours also could help.

IF you have the same issue on both sources outside chance the thermistor is at fault, what you can do is disconnect it, doing this will put the fridge into a FULL cooling cycle, one end sits inside the box on a back fin and the other end shares the connector with the interior light inside the box, disconnect the connector and let the fridge run for several hours, if the box gets cold I would replace it.

Always make sure the fridge is level as well.

IF the fridge cools good on one source and not the other then it is normally NOT a cooling unit or thermistor problem.

Hope this helps out. Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for your help, i'll try those things.

Sounds good.

Robert