RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold N831 - Wife stored food wrapped in aluminum foil on…

Norcold N831 - Wife...

Norcold N831 - Wife stored food wrapped in aluminum foil on top shelf. When moved the aluminum foil contacted the wires in the top of the fridge and the fridge light went out. Looking at the front of the fridge there is no lights working and the unit is not functioning.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your Norcold fridge?

Less than 5 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

It happened this weekend - being in an RV I checked all the 12v fuses in the panel and nothing is blown. Breakers are not tripped.

7/26/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The fridge should have a circuit board under the outside access panel, unplug the cord from the outlet and remove the cover on the board. One fuse is for the DC side or what allows the fridge to turn on, the other fuse is an AC fuse, do not touch that one with the fridge plugged in.

I see you checked the fuses in the main fuse panel which was good, locate the circuit board and make sure the DC fuse did not blow.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will not be at the rv until Friday so I will try to look at the panel. When you say unplug where is the plug located? Do you have a picture they you can send?

The plug is under the outside access panel, the cord that you plug in goes direct to the board, below is a picture of what the board would look like. This is the newer style board, you will see a glass fuse which is for the AC side, the 5 amp blade style fuse is to the right and is for the DC side, picture for reference, may not be the same board but will be very similar if not the same.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

IF you need more help on this please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic