RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2021 Sanibel 40 foot 5th wheel. My front sink will…

Customer Question
I have a 2021...

I have a 2021 Sanibel 40 foot 5th wheel. My front sink will not drain. I read there is an air valve in the line somewhere that might be the problem. Is that under the sink? Would that effect the tank drainage to? I want to replace the valve. Starting to smell. I did take the pea trap off and drained as much as i could

Mechanic's Assistant: The RV Mechanic can absolutely help you replace the valve. Are you fixing the vehicle yourself?

Yes once i find the part and its location

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2021 forest river sanibel 40 foot 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Nope. As long as i can fix the problem with that valve

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
7/25/2021
RV Mechanic: BillP310, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification

Good morning,  I'm Bill one of the RV tech experts here at Just Answer.
Thanks for using our service.  Many large 5th wheels have a seperate holding tank and drain valve dedicated to the kitchen.  It sounds like that tank may be full.  Sometimes the valve for the kitchen tank is not in the same location as your regular black and grey valves.  Check your monitor panel in the coach and see what the tank readings are.  Lets start with that.  I am not familiar with any type of air valve in a grey water drain system.  The holding tanks vent up through the roof in almost all modern coaches and there is no check valve in the vent.  Let me know what you find.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The galley tank is showing full. When i try and empty the front tank nothing will come out. Sometimes a littl comes out afer travel but just a littl

Thanks for the reply.  The full tank is why your sink wont drain.  You need to locate that 3rd drain valve I was talking about to empty the tank.  I would take a look under the trailer and see if you have a drain line somewhere under the kitchen area that runs to your dump outlet.  There is usually a valve located somewhere in that line.  If you have cable operated valves then that would be a different story.  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a drain directly below the kitchrn and one at the rear. There is a small bathroom off the kitchen. When i open the front valve it drains that bathroom. There looks to be a hole for another handle forward of that labeled galley. Could it be i am missing a handle? There is a threaded rod inside the hole?

That is exactly what's happening.  The threaded rod is the pull shaft for the valve.  If you can reach it with a pair of pliers or something like that you should be able to pull it and get it draining.  The knobs are standard and can be obtained anywhere that sells rv parts.  FYI, that valve and the other grey tank drain valve can be left in the open position anytime you are connected to a sewer dump at your site.   Only the black valve has to remain closed.  Let me know how you make out.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much. We will be checking on that later today

Good morning.  Were you able to get it drained?  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Bill. Believe it or not. The trailer came from the manufacturer without the handle for the galley tank! I am picking one up today and got it drained yesterday.
This is our first cross country with this rig and we have had a few hiccups. The auto level has been a nightmare. It has coded out numerous times. I had to take the top panel out in the basement storage to power it off! It's pretty stable using just the front landing gear. I have a control panel inside. I a. Going to try to see if i can manually get the rears down. I just got here in MA and will be here a month. Once i have a few other problems ( minor) to fix but i will reach out to you when i tackle the levelers.
Thanks for the follow up!

Glad you got it going.  I will mark this question as completed.  Let me know when I can help further.

Thanks again,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do and thanks again!!