RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2006 motorhome and I need a new hot water heater…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 motorhome and I need a new hot water heater the model number is ***** A - 4E I’m finding that nobody has them is there a replacement that will work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

The hot water heater split in half I need a new hot water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '06 RV?

2006 Itasca Ellipse IKR40FD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am the hot water heater tank split into therefore I need to replace it I can’t seem to fine the hot water heater they’re discontinued

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not really but I know the existing hot the existing hot water heater has a heat exchanger I just need to buy a hot water heater that will work

7/22/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good evening! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your water heater.  I can assist you with this issue. Randall

The least expensive repair here is just replace the tank.  Those are still available.  If you want to do the whole new water heater then realize that Atwood was bought out by Dometic and even though is is the same model pretty much it will have a different part number and somewhat different design.  Not hard to adapt and I can explain that to you if you are doing this yourself.  The newer model number is ***** a GC10A-8E.  Look and see who has a good deal on these.  United RV in Texas has some good buys and some of the E-bay sellers do as well.  I hope this proves helpful here.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The existing one has a heat exchanger and this new one does not. How does that work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is GC10A-4E the same? That's all that comes up.

The site is having problems and your response won't load up properly so I can see what you said.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No.  Let me get it for you.

You can still buy that unit.  It just won't have the motor assist.  Try Amazon for a good price.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would rather have the motor assist what model # is that?

You just won't have a motor assist OR you can repair the old one if you want to keep that.  Have the tank welded back together.  I do at least a dozen of those every year.  About $75 where I have it done.  Randall

They DON'T make that model any more.  None!  Zip!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I've thought about that.

So there are the options.  Fix yours or buy a new one without the motor assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about replacing just the tank.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I order that new water heater with a new model number will the wiring harness be the same

I suggested replacing just the tank.  See the attached lists for those part numbers.  And yes, if you get the "4E" version they should be the same.  See the attached link for the Atwood Water Heater Service Manual.  Tanks are on page 39.  I hope this proves helpful.  Randall   http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification