RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fridge won't work on LP. 2001. Truck camper, no mileage

Fridge won't work on...

Fridge won't work on LP

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2001 Lance

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your RV?

Truck camper, no mileage

7/18/2021
RV Mechanic: BillP310, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification

Good morning,  I'm Bill one of the RV tech experts here at Just Answer.
Thanks for using our service.  Can you tell me what make and model of fridge we are dealing with?  Is it cooling properly on electric?  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Norco N400.3
It’s cooling on AC power
It won’t stay burning on propaneHello

Thanks for the info.  I have pretty much the same fridge in my camper.  Most common cause is that rust from the burner flue falls down on top of the burner and obstructs either the gas flow or the ignitor or both.   This is normal for an older fridge.   I would remove the cover over the burner and blow or brush out that area carefully. Make sure you are getting spark when you hit the ignitor.   If it lights and does not stay lit after releasing the lighting button then it's possible the thermocouple has failed.  This is pretty simple system and the rest of it rarely fails.  Let me know how you make out.  I'll also attach a manual for the fridge at the end of this in case you need it.  Thanks,  Bill

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/norcold-n510-n512-refrigerator-owners-manual.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

I am going to be leaving and offline for a few hours.  I'll try and check back in with you later or first thing in the morning.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've cleaned the burner, it will light and stay lit for 1-2 minutes then shuts off. I was thinking the thermocouple might be bad. Is there a way to test that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test the Thermocouple?

Good morning.  I'm going to attach a link to a Youtube video that will show you how to test the thermocouple with a multimeter.  I will also attach a link for the thermocouple part.  You will have to pull the control panel apart to reach the other end of the thermocouple.  I will post another message with some excerpts from a Norcold service manual that will give you a couple other things to check before removing the thermocouple.  It is also possible that the control valve has failed but this is very rare on these models.   Links to follow.

Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4izohPW3K8

https://www.amazon.com/NORCOLD-INC-620424-Norcold-Thermocouple/dp/B008KWMZS0/ref=asc_df_B008KWMZS0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343230797474&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=*****************333&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010125&hvtargid=pla-760145798589&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69167826935&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343230797474&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=*****************333&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010125&hvtargid=pla-760145798589

I am unable to cut and paste the page so I will attach the manual.  This is for a smaller but similar model and the test procedures should be the same.  Refer to page 3-13 for your issue.  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/n400.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the thermocouple and I got 23-26 milivolts, I ordered a new thermocouple and burner. The new thermocouple tested a little less 18-20. not sure what to do next??

Did you install the new thermocouple and it still wont stay lit?  If all the adjustments are correct on page 3-13 of the manual then it would likely be the control valve.  If you haven't installed the new one yet I would try that first.  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't installed the new thermocouple yet. I will be out of town until next week. I will work on it then. Thanks for the help

Thanks for the update.  I'll go ahead and close this request but you can still let me know how you made out of if I can help with any other questions.  Thanks  Bill

BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification