RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Montana 3280rl slides wont extend. But will retract. 2002.

Customer Question
Montana 3280rl slides wont...

Montana 3280rl slides wont extend. But will retract

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Montana?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your Montana?

No idea. Just purchased

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Hydraulic reservoir had leak. Been repaied

Chat is completed

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 Montana 3280rl manual slide bypassSlides wont extend. Will extract
7/17/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your slide outs.   I can assist you with this issue. Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks

This is most likely one of two things that is causing this.  One is that on hydraulic powered unit the Trombetta solenoid on the pump is probably defective and is only working on the retract side.  Or the switch on the retract side is not working and needs to be replaced.  You can easily check this with a small digital multimeter like the one in the attached photo link.  About $20 or so and easy to use and found at most local hardware stores.  Have someone operate the controls and take your meter and ground the black lead and use the red lead to check the DC voltage OUT of the Trombetta solenoid on the retract side.  The center post is there the 12 VDC comes into it.  The ones on either side of that are for retract and extend for the rooms.  Check that and see what you find.  Randall  http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The motor reverses. But in outgoing position.the pump does nut up.Does the trombetta solenoid work and interior valves? Or just reverse the motor?

I am not sure what "does nut up" means here?  Maybe a typo?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ghetto shop speak for drawing down under a load

Just reverses the motor.  The control switch opens the valve(s) on retract.  See if they have power when you try that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

I'll take your word for that part.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We used the term when I taught college powersports mechanicsI cannot locate the actuator motor to manual crank them out. Any suggestions?

They may or may not have that option.  Most hydraulic powered system don't.  Some you have to use a drill motor and attachment to move them.  Whose system is this?  Add a photo of the pump and motor and I can probably tell.  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When first tried to extend. The pump reservoir had blown o-ring to valve body. I repaired it. Slides moved about 4in and pump sounds like its free spinningThey retract fine. And immediately

That is an older DeWald system.  I can get you a link to that Service Manual and wiring diagrams.  https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/leveling-and-stabilization/dewaldhydraulicleveling/pg_82_s0523.pdf