RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My fridge works fine on propane and 12 volt but doesn’t work…

My fridge works fine...

My fridge works fine on propane and 12 volt but doesn’t work on AC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No I haven’t.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Open Range 386 FLR 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes if I can figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, the fridge works just not on AC power.

7/16/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

The fridge turns on with DC power, it is needed for the circuit board, this means if the outlet the fridge is plugged into does not have voltage the fridge will still turn on and only work on propane and DC voltage. Check the outlet the fridge is plugged into, if needed get an extension cord and plug the fridge into an outside source, this will rule out any wiring issues in the RV.

IF the outlet has voltage leave the cord for the fridge unplugged, most all Norcold's and Dometic's will have a circuit board under the outside access panel, the cover comes off the board and will expose some fuses, one fuse is for the DC main power, one for the DC heating element and one for the AC heating, if the AC heating element fuse is blown then the fridge will still turn on but not work on AC power.

IF all the above are good then I suspect the circuit board is faulty, part of the board is a relay that senses the AC power.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fridge is a Norcold 1211210

I have responded.

Will repost

Robert

Pretty sure this model is only gas and AC power, if that is the case you will only have two fuses on the board.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what amp the 2 fuses should be?

DC fuse should be a 5 amp blade style fuse.

AC fuse should be a 8 amp AGC style fast acting fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hard to find an 8 amp AGC is it possible to use a 10amp AGC

You really should never use an over-rated fuse size as it may cause issues, if the wire carrying the voltage has to many amps for the wire size it can can heat up and melt, as a tech stand point I can not suggest you do that, I do know owners who have done it to get by.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic