RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It just quit working not lit up. 2118msst. Norcold. In a…

It just quit working...

It just quit working not lit up

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?

2118msst. Norcold. In a jayco camper

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold appliance? What have you tried so far?

Just happened this morning. Just changed the fuse in panel

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/10/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Go to the outside access panel and remove the cover and tell me if you see a small black box, on the box is a led light need to know if the light is ON, it would be RED.

Thanks, Robert

Without the information requested I can only give you a general idea.

I mentioned the small black box with the LED on it because it is a high temp sensor, when the light comes ON it has tripped and cuts power to the fridge, you can try and reset it if the light is ON.

The fridge uses DC power to turn on and work, it is required for the circuit board, you would need to check the 12 VDC and GND wires that plug into them, this is where the DC supply comes to the fridge. IF voltage is present unplug the fridge and remove the cover on the circuit board, you will see some fuses, one fuse is for the DC side or what allows the fridge to turn on, if that has blown the fridge will not turn on.

Please let me know if you still need help on this, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if the red light is on what do we do? It is hard to tell.

Inside the sensor is a reed switch get a strong magnet and hold it directly on the sensor above the light for about 30 seconds, you should get a click the light should go out and the fridge should be back in operation.

You can also test the sensor by removing the blue wire and red wire and connecting them together with a small wire or paper clip to see if the fridge turns on, only for testing.

If the light will not go out OR it comes back on the fridge may be overheating and would need to be looked at.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we tried the magnet but we actually didn’t think the light was in cuz we didn’t hear a click at all

OK

Do you have a volt meter?

Robert

On the circuit board under the outside access panel you should have two terminals marked 12 VDC and GND, check the wires that plug into the terminals and tell me if you have 12 volts DC, if you need to see a diagram let me know.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
diagram please

See service manual link below page 15 it shows the 12 VDC POS and 12 VDC NEG top right corner on the board, you can see the fuse as well which would be exposed if the cover is removed. IF you do remove the cover unplug the fridge, the reason being is the board has another fuse that is for the AC side, you do not want to touch the AC fuse with the fridge plugged in, safety first, unplug the cord before taking the cover off.

Robert

Link

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/637026B_SM_2118.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do u do after removing the cover ? And what number of fuses before we take this off?

The board will expose some fuses, I sent you a service manual and it shows the fuse right in the same location where the 12 VDC POS and 12 VDC NEG are going into the board. Make sure the fuse is not blown.

Again this applies if you have DC voltage going into the board, if you do not have DC voltage going into the board check the fuses on the RV side.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are they glass fuses?

I believe one fuse is a blade style automotive fuse and the other is a glass fuse, if you have the cover off the board and can send me a photo I can point out the correct fuse, you can add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We changed the 5 fuse in the fuse panel and it started up but didn’t stay on

Did the fuse blow again?

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeh so then we put in a 10 and so far it stayed on

So it sounds like a wiring issue from the fuse panel to the fridge, really should not use an oversized fuse, make sure the 10 amp fuse is not getting hot if so I might remove it. This is probably going to need a shop or mobile RV tech take a look at the wiring for you as hard to say where the problem in the wiring is going to be.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

No problem at all, I am glad we at least found what is causing the fridge to shut down.

Have a great Sunday.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the camper fridge faces the west and has hot weather on it all day wud that effect it ?

It may affect the cooling some, if the fridge is turning on and was warm in the box need to give it at least 8 hours to see if the box cools off. Try not to open the doors as well as that will prolong the cooling process.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok we will try that