RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold refrigerator is blinking steady green every 4…

My Norcold refrigerator is...

My Norcold refrigerator is blinking steady green every 4 seconds, but the fridge seems to be working fine. Ice is freezing and food is cold. I just bought the RV used so I'm not sure if this green light blinking is normal? Thank you!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It is the green light beside the "ON". It blinks green for 4 seconds then blinks off for a split second.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 267BHSW

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am doing as much fixing myself as I can. But I have not tried anything on the fridge yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I am living in my RV full time. I have been running the fridge for 8 days now. I thought the light was normal until a friend said I need to figure out why that light is blinking.

7/9/2021
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy

Good morning welcome to Just answer, my name is James.

Normally when you have flashing lights on the display panel it is trying to give you a code. The only fault for the green light is a problem with the thermistor, when the thermistor fails the fridge goes into a full cooling mode, to prevent food from spoiling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good Morning James! My name is Shirley. I appreciate your prompt reply. Does this mean that I have to replace the thermistor? Is it normal for it to fail in a 6 year old rv?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds like it, thermistior fail all the time, how cold is the refrigerator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fridge is cold, and the freezer is freezing ice cubes solid. I was told that if the rv is not level this will cause the fridge to not work right. Is that true?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

That is true, it will also cause a blockage in cooling unit if run off level. you need place a bubble level in freezer and level to it. unlevel unit would not cool good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay that makes sense. Do you think that is where I should start with figuring out what's going on with it? I do not think my rv is perfectly level. I plan on having my son in law help me level it up this weekend.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok sounds good,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you SO much for your help, James! If I need more help with this, can I just ask for you again?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question James

James Davy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Being that it is Sunday, I really don't expect you to answer today, tomorrow is just fine with me. Thank you!I got my RV all leveled up! I'm so happy about that. The green light is still flashing on the fridge. Do I need to reset it? And if so, would you be able to instruct me on how do do it?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
What is says there a problem with thermistor. I would monitor the temperature and see what it does. It should go to full cold.Thanks James
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like it goes full cold and stays full cold?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes it will until you change thermistior, it regulates the temp.

Thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much for your help with this issue, James. So far the fridge and freezer are maintaining a consistamt temperature. The freezer is keeping ice frozen and the fridge is not freezing anything.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

The best thing is to keep monitoring it.

Thank you for your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I will do that. Thank you SO much!! Ideally appreciate your help.Thank you so much, James. I really appreciate your help!
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi James. So far so good with my fridge. Both fridge and freezer are holding steady temps. I will keep monitoring as you suggested. May I ask you a question about something else on my RV?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Sure go ahead.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you! My bathroom ceiling vent fan works sometimes and when it does work it has a loud screech. The stove hood exhaust fan doesn't work at all. With this limited info can you advise me on whether or not they can be fixed?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

The bathroom you will prolly have to change the motor, on the stove you will need to check for power at the motor and switch prolly needs a motor also.

Thanks James

I will be out for a while, ill check back in when i get back.

thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay that's exactly what I was finding online about the bathroom one. Apparently that particular model has had motor trouble across the board.
I will check for power at the motor and switch on the stove one. I'll get back to u2ou tomorrow on what I find.Thank you, James.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok good luck.

jAMES