RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2014 forest river Salem RV. It has a dometic ac.

We have a 2014...

We have a 2014 forest river Salem RV. It has a dometic ac. The ac runs perfect when hooked to 120V at our home. However, when we hook it to our 30 AMP 4000 watt generator it trips the breaker. This same thing happened with our old generator that was apparently not a true 30 AMP generator, the new one is.

Mechanic's Assistant: The RV Mechanic will know what to do about your AMP. Do you have any other details that could be helpful?

Its a 26' travel trailer. We have replaced the power cord that runs from the trailer to the generator (we were told that could be the problem).

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The fan on the ac runs fine... as soon as we turn on the ac though... it trips the breaker on the generator. We were told to install a "soft start" to the ac, but I'd like to hear that from a professional. I think that's it.

7/6/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your A/C unit on the generator.  I can assist you with this issue. Randall

This is a common complaint on most smaller generators.  The best solution here is to make sure that all other AC loads like the fridge and water heater are changed over to LP mode.  That might help.  Otherwise I would get a Soft Start kit and install that in your A/C and that allows it to run on a lesser output from any AC power source.  Very effective!  I would try that next.  Randall

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah we made sure everything else was off and fridge was in propane. still blew the breaker for the generator.

Then I would get a Soft Start kit and install that.  Those work very well.