RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a surburban hot water heater and I have replaced the…

I have a surburban...

I have a surburban hot water heater and I have replaced the thermostat, heating element, ignitor and refilled both LP tanks. The heater will ignite when you first turn it own but will not relight to heat the water up. The water only is getting luke warm. What else can be the trouble with the water not getting hot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I have a travel trailer not an RV.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Element?

I just put in a new element

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have replaced the heating element, ignitor, thermostat and refueled the LP tanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Ok thanks

6/29/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to give the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. Who am I helping today?

Do you know the model number for this water heater?

Does it have the same failure on gas and AC power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi My name is ***** ***** looks like the model is SW6D. The unit has to have elec and gas at the same time to work. .I will double check on the model number.I don't get home until around 6:30 I can be at the travel trailer then and you can call me and I can tell you all about the unit. I have replaced the thermostat, heating element, ignitor and the electro probe. The instructions on this unit tells you to turn on the propane gas, turn on the switch inside the water heater panel and then you go inside and turn on the switch to light the unit. It will light at first but then will not relight and the water is bearly warm.

Thanks, Shelia

I will watch ffor your reply later.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is flooding here so I cannot get to the water heater. But do you have any idea why the water is not getting hot. My phone number is(###) ###-####if you had rather call me about it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please call me im at the camper

Were you able to double-check the water heater model number as you mentioned prior?  So far I believe it is a electrical signal issue but I need to review the wiring diagram to tell you how to test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model number is ***** and the serial number is###-##-#### test press is 300 pSI and the output is 12,000 btu.

Thanks, ***** ***** the manuals we are going to use https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/technical-service-manuals/suburban-sw6de/

Once you use the water heater and then it fails to come back on. Is it failing to heat on propace or when set to use AC electrical power or both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It only heats off propane. The manual that I have states to light the heater..... Turn on propane gas, then you turn on the switch inside the heater panel and then you go inside the camper to the switch that has the red light and turn it on. Once you do this you can hear the heater light with propane, but only when you first light it. It will not come back on after that. So I guess the answer to your question is that it will not heat on propane or electric. There is not a switch inside to choose electric or propane.

Thanks,

Once the propane shuts off, go outside to the WH and smell and listen. Have another use some hot water and wait. Do you hear the ignitor clicking or the smell of propane within 5 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try this when i get home today. But I don't think that we have smelt any propane or heard the ignitor trying to relight. But I will make sure. What time zone are you on? Eastern? Pacific?We have even tried turning the switch off inside and waiting 5 minutes and resetting it but that doesn't work either.The first time that you light it after it has not been used for a few days it lights good. But the water is bearly warm, and then it will not relight.

I am central time.

With this test, I am trying to see if the circuit board is attempting to relight the flame but there is a concern with the gas valve.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, as soon as I get off work today and get home I will light it and wait a few minutes for it to get hot then get someone to run the hot water and see if we smell anything or if it try to relight.I appreciate you trying to help me with this. I bought the camper from a elderly gentleman and he said he never lite the water heater. I am trying to get it working properly so that my family can enjoy it, but this thing has about drove me crazy. I will respond as soon as i check it out. Thanks

Sounds good to me.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it was flooding and storming when I got home yesterday, but I will try again this afternoon when i get home.

I understand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I am at the camper and have lite the water heater. It stayed on for about 8 minutes then we off. I turned the water on and let the hot water run for about 10 minutes and the heater is not trying to relight. The light beside the switch inside the camper is out. So I turned it off and waited about 5 minutes turned it back on and it did not come back on. I do not smell gas and the heater is not trying to relight.....it just lights that one time and doesn't light anymore until you wait about 2 hours with the switches off and then turn them back on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I will try this when I get home today.

Super

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be available tomorrow after 8 am (saturday morning), if possible could you call and walk me through some of this.(###) ###-#### thanks

The website charges for calls, but yes Ic an call if needed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK that's fine. I will let you know. thanks

You are welcome

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have hot water at the tank, we opened the pop off valve up and the water is hot there but inside the camper at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower the water is bearly warm then goes cold.

Possible causes for that can be the winterizing valve at the back of the water heater are in the wrong setting or the one-way check valve at the water heater inlet faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get to the back of the water heater to check these.

Shelia, I need to know the camper year, make, model #

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2017 coachman apex ultra lite 215RBK

Is the water heater below the fridge, if so is there a panel below the fridge to remove?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Below the refrigerator is the panel box.

Looking at the camper images that is where it looks like the WH is, below the fridge. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but inside there is a panel box.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will look behind them and how do I know if I have a faulty water valve.

Your comments before prove that. A hot tank but no hot water.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

You are welcome