RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Replacing the awning fabric on a 2012 Dometic awning. Need…

Replacing the awning fabric...

Replacing the awning fabric on a 2012 Dometic awning. Need to know the rivet size to replace the ones I am drilling out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '12 RV?

Skyline Koala 26ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. Haven started. Gathering parts

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Awning works fine. I'm replacing the old fabric. Need rivet size for the left hand side?

6/24/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are looking for the right size pop rivet.  If my memory serves me correctly, I think they are 1/4" diameter X 1/4" long.  anything longer can get caught on the spring mechanism.   Be careful doing this type of work.  The springs have a lot of tension on them and you can get hurt easily if they try to unwind to fast.  Also count how many turns are on the spring and put the number of turns back on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I just did some research and dometic has a kit and they are saying different.

https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-3-16-x-1-awning-oscar-rivet-6-pack.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks! I'll look for those locally
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I would not go 1" in length, I would stay at a 1/4"  Enough to go through the cap and into the tube

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree. 1" seems too long
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Glad I could help. I appreciate good ratings for my service today.   If you are not satisfied with my service today, please let me know so I can do better next time. There are also other experts available to help you as well.   Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day.

Happy RVing

***** *****

KevinS121

go 1/2" long, just pulled out my measuring tape

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. May have to hit a hardware store. Lowes seems stuck on 1/4.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

you can drill the holes out on the cap and tube to a 1/4" diameter if you have to.  It will not hurt.

3/16 is only 1/16" off from a 1/4"

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

yes.  I would go with a 1/2" grip

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay...thank you!
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure.  another thing you might want to get while you are there is some roll pins to put in the spring assembly to prevent it from unwinding on you while removing the material.  I am not sure how long they need to be or what diameter.  Sometimes the replacement material will have them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 2" pins, but Dometic calls for 2/34. Going to hardware store. Found the 1/2 rivets behind 1/4!
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

great news

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure.  Looks good.  Glad I could help. I appreciate good ratings for my service today.   If you are not satisfied with my service today, please let me know so I can do better next time. There are also other experts available to help you as well.   Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day.

Happy RVing

***** *****

KevinS121

KevinS121