RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It won't switch to propane. The button on the control panel…

Customer Question
It won't switch to...

It won't switch to propane. The button on the control panel will not let me change from electric.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?

Norcold Model# *****

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold appliance? What have you tried so far?

Figured out when i unplugged from shore power and fridge started beeping.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That's all.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/22/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

What I would do is see if the electrode is trying to spark on propane.

Go to the outside access and remove the panel, you will see a vertical flue pipe, at the bottom of the flue is a small metal protection cover, remove the cover and you will see the electrode and burner tube.

The burner tube is slotted and sometimes bugs and debris can get inside the tube, get an air nozzle and blow the tube out really good. Make sure the electrode is 3/16" over the burner tube and when the electrode sparks it is only sparking outside the tip.

IF the electrode is sparking the propane pressure comes into play, go to the propane tank shut the supply valve and then slowly open in up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator might lock up and you might not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve and then run a stove burner for several mins then try the fridge again.

Also make sure the DC voltage is about 12.5 volts, if the voltage was low the fridge can still turn on but the spark may not be strong enough to light the propane off.

Beyond this it could be a number of items, could the electrode, circuit board gas valve and may require a mobile RV tech or shop have a look at it.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no spark because the control panel lets you choose electric, gas or both. Mine is stuck in electric.

I would still pull the protection cover at the bottom of the flue and verify it is not sparking, if it is not sparking then I suspect the board has failed, part of the board is a relay that senses the electric and switches between propane and electric.

When you unplug the fridge it should default to propane, if it fails to light off you will normally get a flashing light or code.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code I get is no AC.

Robert

When you are plugged into power and in Auto the fridge should want to work on electric, if you loose the AC power the fridge will default to propane and if it fails to light off then the check light will come on.

Verify the outlet the fridge is plugged into has power, if the outlet did not have voltage the fridge would try and default to propane.

Unplug the cord from the outlet and remove the cover from the circuit board, on the board are some fuses, one fuse is for the DC side and one for the AC side, if the AC side fuse has blown then the fridge will default to propane.

Robert