RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fridge was fine yesterday. We unplugged to go on vacation.

Fridge was fine yesterday...

Fridge was fine yesterday. We unplugged to go on vacation. Today it’s not cooling. I’ve turned it off and back on. The green light s on but the freezer is thawing and the coils in the fridge are not cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It’s a Norcold unit. It has a green light near the “On”. The switch is set to Auto and the other to Coldest.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Thor Freedom Elite 2018.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Went outside, took the panel off. Removed a mud dinners nest. Unplugged the plug. I heard some clicking. Went inside turned the switch from auto to gas tyen back to auto.

6/20/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Normally when you diagnose a cooling problem you want to run it on propane for 8 hours and then electric for 8 hours and see if you have the same problem on each source.

IF you have the same issue on both sources the cooling unit or thermistor is suspect, if your fridge sits in a slide out could also be a fan issue.

1. IF the fridge is in a slide out as a general rule it would have a fan, the fan should be cycling on and off, if the fan was not coming on it would be a problem.

2. The thermistor is suspect for no cooling in the box on both sources, what you can do is locate the thermistor in the box, it sits on a back fin and shares the connector with the light, disconnect it and let the fridge run for several hours, when you disconnect it the fridge should go into a full cooling cycle. This applies to MOST models, get me the model number and I can tell you if you can do this test.

3. The cooling unit is very suspect, inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and it needs to circulate around the coils, when the circulation stops you loose cooling in the box. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. What you can try is get a rubber mallet and tap the coils that run back and forth on the backside of the fridge, sometimes this will get the ammonia solution going again. Always make sure the fridge is level as well if the fridge sits off level the fridge can stop cooling.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Norcold fridge how to

Maybe you did not see my response, I will repost.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I received it. I'm just making sure we did the switches correct.

Yes if the green light is ON and it is not flashing then the fridge is trying to work.

IF you had a fault the green light would blink a fault for a cooling unit problem you may not get a fault code.

I would run the fridge for 8 hours on propane then electric, try tapping the coils on the back of the fridge as well, sometimes that can get the ammonia solution circulating again.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Robert the site we are in is not very level either. I'll bet that might be it as well.Our nose is lower then the back end of the camper. We are heading to get leveling blocks.Should it be making any noise?

NO the fridge will not make any noise on electric as a heating element is doing the heating for the ammonia solution, on propane you may hear the flame going if you are outside and have the panel removed.

Get the fridge level and tap the tubes on the back of the fridge and see if you get the cooling back.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic