RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refrigerator only cooling to 50 degrees after defrosting,

Refrigerator only cooling to...

Refrigerator only cooling to 50 degrees after defrosting, the freezer is at 10 degrees

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

Norcold n8xrt, 2 years

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Since yesterday. We defrosted the freezer and we turned it back on yesterday and the freezer seems to e working fine but the refrigerator is not cooling as it was just before the defrost

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Normally when you diagnose a cooling problem you want to run it on propane for 8 hours and then electric for 8 hours and see if you have the same problem on each source.

IF you have the same issue on both sources the cooling unit or thermistor is suspect, if your fridge sits in a slide out could also be a fan issue.

1. IF the fridge is in a slide out as a general rule it would have a fan, the fan should be cycling on and off, if the fan was not coming on it would be a problem.

2. The thermistor is suspect for no cooling in the box on both sources, what you can do is locate the thermistor in the box, it sits on a back fin and shares the connector with the light, disconnect it and let the fridge run for several hours, when you disconnect it the fridge should go into a full cooling cycle.

3. The cooling unit is very suspect, inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and it needs to circulate around the coils, when the circulation stops you loose cooling in the box, the freezer will always get cold long before the box will so it is VERY possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer still working. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. What you can try is get a rubber mallet and tap the coils that run back and forth on the backside of the fridge, sometimes this will get the ammonia solution going again. Always make sure the fridge is level as well if the fridge sits off level the fridge can stop cooling.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I disconnect the thermistor and it cools then the thermistor is the problem

YES that is correct, if that does not work try tapping the tubes on the back of the fridge that go back and forth then let the fridge run for several hours.

Robert