RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am getting an E5 error on my 2021 Nexus Triumph RV and the…

Customer Question
I am getting an E5...
I am getting an E5 error on my 2021 Nexus Triumph RV and the AC is not blowing cold. Is there a quick fix for this? The RV is brand new. ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/18/2021
RV Mechanic: RandyL45, RV Technician replied 1 year ago
RandyL45
RandyL45, RV Technician

Hello, this is Randy in Texas. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Randy!Thanks for your help!

Hello. An E5 error code is indicating that the freeze sensor is either frozen or doesn't have continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hmm how is that remedied?What would cause that?

Does your unit have a ceiling assembly where you can remove the filter and see inside the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure I am not with the RV right now someone else has it but I could have them lookWould that be from inside the RV?It is a 2021 Nexus TriumphThis is the link the salesperson sent me to the model it hashttps://www.forestriverinc.com/brochures/0000/0000ThermostatSingleDometicManual.pdf

If it does, remove the filter and you will see a box (control box) that has many wires coming out of it. Two of those wires run up above the ceiling and go up to the fins of the ac. The part that is suck into the fins is the freeze sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Check to make sure those wires are securely attached to the control box, even move them a bit to make sure they are making a good connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I can ask him to do that

Also have him look up on the fins for ice. If he sees ice, the freeze plug is doing its job and shutting off the compressor because its to cold.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will do that! What would cause it to get too cold?Will the ice thaw and then it should start working automatically again?

If it is low of freon or short cycling is the most common cause. Short cycling is when the air the ac just cooled is allowed to be immediately returned into the ac,

IF (I say IF) it is frozen, it will thaw and start working again, at least until it freezes back up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How often does the Freon need to be filled? It’s a new RV with only 6000 miles on it should it be running out already?What would cause short cycling?

If the freon is low, it cannot be replaced and you need a new unit. Yours should still be under warranty and should be replaced for free from your selling dealer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok.. Our dealer is 1000 miles away can any licensed dealer do it?What about if it’s option B the short cycling?

Short cycling would be caused by the unit not being taped off correctly. Once you get the unit running again, put your hand inside the air intake, directly above where the filter was. If you feel colder than room temp air, it is getting through from the output and sneaking back into the intake.

Any licensed dealer that is licensed to sell your unit should be able to replace the ac, if they decide thats what it needs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do.. If it thaws out and starts working again is there anything from a usage perspective that he can do to prevent it from freezing up again?

The only thing you can do is check it for short cycling and tape it up to stop it from doing that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hmm ok you don’t happen to have any photos or anything to show how to do it properly do u?What if he just keeps the AC on at a higher temp, like 70 bs 60 degrees would that help?

If its short cycling, giving the unit an easier work load would certainly help but the compressor needs to turn off for that to happen. If the RV is in a hot area, you may not be able to do that. One thing that might help is turn the fan to the high position, so that it runs whether the compressor is running or not. Running the fan will speed up the defrosting process.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will definitely try that, would the thermostat still be set to cool but the fan just on high?

Yes but the more you can keep the compressor off the better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a setting for just fan without cool that they could use?Also, do u know what an average replacement time should be for a new one of these units? Is it something you normally have to replace every couple months?

Yes that is turning the thermostat to fan, then to high.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok cool I will have him try that

The ac should only need to be replaced every 6 to 8 years. I could get you a new ac in about a week but I can't say how busy or far behind your local dealer is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok that makes me feel better I was thinking it might be something you have to change every few months or something

No and an ac is not cheap. Probably about $1300 if you had to buy a new one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yikes I hope this one starts working again soon

Right, or hopefully it just needs a freeze plug or taped up better to keep it from short cycling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hopefully.. It’s been working really well up until now so I am not sure what may have happened..

If it does need to be replaced, at least its under warranty

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Randy! I think the up freezing thing worked! It appears to be working now! Thanks for your help!

Im glad to hear it.