RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My generator turns on and will run, but the AC units won't…

Hello. My generator turns...

Hello. My generator turns on and will run, but the AC units won't turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Have you checked the Freon level?

No, i haven't done that yet. Not even sure where that would be

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 Keystone Raptor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am brand new to RV's. Just got it last week, used by 1 year. Dealership said everything worked, and they did a video walkthrough while connected to shore power. I have tried flipping the converter breaker on and then off, and also did a battery disconnect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Probably...but i don't know yet what else i need. haha

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IF the generator is built into the RV locate the generator and check the breaker on it, if it is an Onan generator it may have a side panel that comes off, you will see a start/stop switch and to the right of that around the side of a cover is a switch like a light switch (some have round buttons) hard to see the switch if you are not looking for it.

IF the breaker is not tripped on the generator and you have NO AC voltage at all inside the RV then you might have a transfer switch issue, it's job is to detect the incoming power source and switch back and forth between shore and generator power. Some RV's you physically have to plug a cord into a socket, this is normally located in a compartment next to the generator.

Beyond that being a 2020 I would have the dealer look at this under warranty.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you. if the microwave isn't working either, do you think that's part of the same problem?

YES need to check the breaker on the generator, to make sure it is not tripped if it is not tripped then the transfer switch may not be allowing the AC power in the RV. Another idea for you is to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area, normally if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you will get a listing of techs in the area, I used to do mobile RV repair in OR and would cover a 100 mile radius.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic