RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The freezer cools but the refrigerator will not cool.

Customer Question
The freezer cools but...

The freezer cools but the refrigerator will not cool. Domestic model no. RM1350MSSX

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Dometic model RM1350MSSX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked all plug in wires etc. Everything is in place

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The frig won’t work on electric or gas. The temperature won’t go below 60. The light won’t go on in the frig. But the freezer is getting cold. Frig won’t get cold

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/14/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thx

This is not going to be good news as it sounds like the cooling unit may be blocked.

Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution, when the solution stops circulating you can loose cooling in the box, the freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to so very possible to have an issue with the cooling unit with the freezer working.

Once a cooling unit is blocked it normally needs to be replaced or a new fridge.

A few things you can try but no guaranties. Go to the outside access panel and remove it locate the cooling unit tubes that run back and forth on the back side of the fridge, get a rubber mallet and tap them really good and then let the fridge run for several hours, sometimes driving the RV over bumpy roads can also help get the circulation going again, pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end and letting it stand upright level for several hours can also help.

With the freezer working it tells me you are getting a good heating source and points towards the cooling unit being blocked.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The light doesn't even go on in the frig like it isn't getting any electricity .We checked all the fuses. They were ok

The display panel is turning on correct? The fridge runs on 12 volt DC power it is needed for the circuit board, the light also is 12 volts so if the display is ON it tells me it is NOT a fuse problem, check the bulb as well make sure it is not blown. If the freezer is working the fridge should also be working as well, it takes a good 8-12 hours for the box to cool off as well.

IF the bulb is good I might consider having a RV mobile tech come to you and have a look at this just to be sure there is not a wiring problem with the fridge before replacing the cooling unit. Still might want to try tapping the coils and see if the box will start to cool off.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the display panel works. We'll try the tapping first. Thx Bill Lowery

Understand, hopeful that will do the trick just allow the box a few hours to try and cool off after tapping.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok we'll try and wait and get back to you.

Sounds good, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Robert! Your suggestions worked perfectly! The frig is down to 40 now. Thank you so much! Bill Lowery

Good news!

Glad I could help out!

Have a wonderful week!
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You too !!! Thx

Thanks, Robert