RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

When I plug my 50 amp into power it works fine. When I plug…

When I plug my...

When I plug my 50 amp into power it works fine. When I plug in my dogbone 50-30 amp to power it works fine. When I add the 20 amp adapter and extension cord it trips the GFCI.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

All the fuses look ok unless there are fuses in another location

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2011 Fleetwood Southwind

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have plugged into this outlet before with no problems, but now we have this issue. At first we thought it was the outlet, but we took it to an RV park and it did it there also. We have checked the fuses and the breakers in the bedroom. We have made sure that everything is turned off.

6/8/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to give the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. Who am I helping today?

A GFI will trip when there is continuity between the black power wire and ground wire or when there is power on the ground wire. Since the cord is fine on 50 and 30 amps. It has to be the adapter you are plugging in, to rob more amps from another circuit at the power pole.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We bought a new 30 to 20 adapter and it still trippedWe have plugged in this way before with no issue, but now for some reason we are having this problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am plugging in to the outlet just to keep my battery charged not in conjunction with the 50 or 30.

How many cords are connected to the campsite going to the camper?

This charger, is it a store-bought one connected to the house batteries or to the engine battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We plug our rv in to the outlet where we store our rv. It is a 2011 Fleetwood Southwind Motorhome

When I plug my 50 amp into power it works fine. When I plug in my dogbone 50-30 amp to power it works fine. When I add the 20 amp adapter and extension cord it trips the GFCI.-----------Can you provide a picture of your plug(s) to the campsite box in the form where it trips the GFI in the camper or at the campsite?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I stated, I am simply plugging my motorhome into the RV storage place plug to keep my batteries charged. We are using the motorhome at a campsite.Sorry I meant to say "We are NOT using the motorhome."

Okay, so you plug your camper cord up to one plug at a time at the storage facility or at the campsite. You are connected to one plug at a time. The 50, 30, or 20 amp plug? That results in the GFI plug tripping in the camper or at the storage facility or campsite?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When this stated happening we took the motorhome to a RV park. We plugged in the 50 amp and it worked fine. We added the 30 amp dogbone and plugged into the 30 amp - it worked fine. Then we added the 20 amp adapter and it tripped at the RV site. The generator also powers everything up ok.

So you are saying if you power your camper from 50 amps and nothing else all is well. If your power your camper from 30 amps and nothing else all is well. If you power your camper from the home-style plug 20 amps the campsite GFI plug trips.

Is all of that accurate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It happened at the RV Storage place and the RV Park.

Thanks, ***** ***** something in your camper is drawing more amps or very close to max amps for that 15 or 20 amp GFI plug. This is why the camper cannot be powered on this low amp plug alone. The GFI is overheating and tripping as a breaker would do. It can also be a small wiring or component issue in the camper that the GFI plug is detecting but the 50/30 are not because they are not GFI protected. You can cut off all breakers in the camper to check your cord and your wiring from the camper exterior to the breaker panel. Plugging up to 50 or 30 amps which works can resolve your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We turned all breakers in the motorhome off and it still trips to GFI. Nothing is on to draw amps. Is there a second breaker box in a Fleetwood Southwind Motorhome?

Unplug the cord from the camper and test again to see if your ground fault is within your cord.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have plugged this motorhome into this outlet for years and just now are having problems. We checked breakers and fuses and couldn't find an issue. We turned all of the breakers off and the minute we plug in it trips the GFI. We have wracked our brains trying to figure out what could be different now. We have a surge protector on the line. So from the outlet it is Extension cord - 20-30 Adapter - 30-50 Dogbone - Surge Protector - 50 plug to RV. We have no problem (all green lights on protector) until we plug the 50 amp RV plug in.I plugged a hair dryer into the extension cord to make sure it was not the cord and it worked fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I was testing the extension cord to make sure the problem wasn't with it. I plugged the extension cord into the outlet and plugged the hair dryer into the extension cord. It worked fine. My power cord is built into my motorhome. We actually even replaced the 50 amp male plug today to see if that helped, but it didn't.

I believe you need an electrician to test your wiring from the 50amp cord to your campers breaker panel and the wiring from the inverter to find and fix the ground fault. It is not the cord and it is not after the breakers. So the issue is between those 2.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If that was the issue would everything work ok when plugged into the 30 amp and 50 amp?

When on 50 and 30, you are not on a plug that has the ability to check ground faults. So yes, all things would work as designed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can't get it in to be looked at for 4 months so we are trying to figure this out for ourselves. If it is the ground fault is there any risk to using it on 30 or 50?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chris can you tell me how to get to my account. I didn't set up User Name and Password.

Yes, it is safe to use on 30 and 50 amp unit lit ever gets to a point of tripping breakers. If you have a voltmeter you can diagnose yourself https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+test+ground+fault

It's been a couple of days since you replied. I am going to mark your question complete for now. Reply as needed.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic