RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are using our rv for the first time and we are trying to…

We are using our...

We are using our rv for the first time and we are trying to figure out why we don't have any hot water. We are hooked to a water supply. We see on the control panel there are two switches for the hot water. We had the electric one turned on since we are connected to Power. This morning we turned the electric switch off and went to gas. Which is correct or do they both need to be on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

We have a travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 shasta is all I can find for make model year

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing we just trying to find out if on the control panel if the switches for the hot water both have to be on or just one of them

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

We also have a red light on the control panel it is the indicator light that reads DSI-FLT

6/8/2021
RV Mechanic: Joe, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Joe
Joe, RV Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. The DSI-FLT indicator is telling you that the propane ignitor failed to ignite the propane for the water heater. Our first thing to check is to make sure that you have a good supply of water, though. Even though it might be cold, do you have running water when only the hot water faucet is used?

Great, thank you. Next question: is the water hot or warm for a moment when you first turn on the hot water faucet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Got it, thanks. Our next step is going to be to turn off both switches for the hot water. After that, please light a burner on the stove. We'll need to make sure that you have a strong blue flame from the burner: not yellow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We only have the switch for gas on right now we had already turned off the electric switch

Understood. Were you able to get a burner on the stove lit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Working on it

Great, thank you. While you're doing that... the actual answer to your original question is that both switches can be on to heat the water in the tank quickly if you wish. Once the water is up to temperature, you're generally better off switching over to electric operation so you don't consume your propane - but either mode will maintain your water temperature.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a strong blue flame no yellow

Fantastic. Please turn the off the switch for gas hot water operation for 60 seconds and then turn it back on. When you turn it on, listen outside of the unit near the water heater for a ticking noise and (hopefully) the whoosh of the propane ignition.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It already did that

Can you hear the burner working now, or do you still have the DSI-FLT indicator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The indicator light is no longer on

That's excellent, good work. I believe that you had some air in the propane line that was preventing the water heater from igniting. Turning on the stove burner purged it out and got pure LP far enough into the line to allow ignition. Give it about 15 minutes to warm up and then test your hot water (be careful, camper hot water systems produce VERY hot water).

I'll keep our chat open and wait to hear your results. I might be away from the computer, but I'll get a notification on my phone that you've responded and I'll message you back ASAP.

Joe
Joe, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you appreciate the help