RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My battery is not charging when plugged in at my house. I…

My battery is not...

My battery is not charging when plugged in at my house.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I have a meter but I'm not sure what I'm reading. I'm not much of an electrician. Sorry

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 XLR Boost. Made by Forest River.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XLR yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to troubleshoot myself. Doesn't make sense to me because the slides will run out and the power jack works just fine off of battery, but I have no lights and the refrigerator will not automatically switch from electric to gas like it is supposed to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I had a licensed electrician install a 30 amp RV plug at my house. Problem is he wired it wrong and blew the original inverter in my RV. He took care of that with a new inverter. Possible problems with new inverter? Not sure

6/7/2021
RV Mechanic: Nachum Wagschal, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Nachum Wagschal
Nachum Wagschal, RV Mechanic

Good afternoon ,

Has it not been working since he worked on it ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have used it the last 3 weekends. First time was at state park hooked to electric. Last 2 weekends we have ran off my generator. We noticed it memorial day weekendWhat doesn't make sense to me is that it will run both slides and the jack no problem. But the refrigerator will not switch to gas like it should and no lights, awning, water pump without generator or being plugged into shore power

The slides and jacks are wired straight to the battery , so they don't go through the converter .

Everything else will go through the converter and have fuses in there for them .

You can check to see if you have any blow fuses .

If any of your 12 volt lights work the battery charger should be working

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked the fuses last weekend and all looked good

have you checked the battery voltage ? with a voltmeter ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A friend of mine did. He said they were reading a little low. I have a meter but I'm not sure how to use the damn thing. Sorry

We need to know the battery voltage .

see this video for checking it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJr7OB23Hw

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the exact same meter as in the video and my meter says between 15 and 16. That doesn't seem right to me

what if you unplug the shore power ? what does it say then ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is unplugged

that is way too high for a battery just sitting there ,

Can you check the battery on your truck and see what it read

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get pretty much the same reading off of one of my truck batteries.

then the voltmeter is bad , but it seems the battery is charged .

Do you have a battery disconnect switch on this ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't ruled that out as the problem. It is in the worst possible spot. It is right inside the main entry door and very prone to being kicked by kids and other people that don't pay attention.

i would check that then

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found the red knob next to the switch during our first trip to the state park. That is very possibly the problem.I think it is in the on position but it may not be working correctly since it got kicked off

try turning it and see , you can always unbolt it and check the wires on the back to see if there is power at both sides of it .

let me know if you need more help with it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. You have been most helpful

my pleasure

Nachum Wagschal
Nachum Wagschal, RV Mechanic