RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Class C Motorhome. Propane detector alarm went off one night…

Customer Question
Class C Motorhome....

Class C Motorhome. Propane detector alarm went off one night on last trip. Turned off propane at the main. Two days later, turned it on again to heat water for a shower before leaving campground and use the oven, with windows, door open just in case. After turning it off at the main again, I 'flared' the stove burners to burn off any gas in the lines.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Oops, pressed 'Send' too soon. My point is, that when I flared each of the 3 stove burners, two of them as usual, lit up and burned out within seconds. The third though, kept burning (even though propane gas off at the main) for a really long time at very low flame. Freaky. Almost a full minute before it finally petered out. My guess is this indicates clearly what is the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2005 Triple E. Ford 350 Chassis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Chassis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Seems like you are a computer? That's not my question

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/7/2021
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy

Good morning welcome to just answer my name is James.

your stove burner was just burning remaining Lpg in lines.

there was not enough to keep other two burners going. Thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was unusual though. Never taken that long for one of the burners to flare off. That combined with the propane alarm, which I have not experienced before either, suggest to me there is more to this than what you have answered.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

You need Run a LPG leak test too confirm no leak it will also tell you if your system isnt shutting down.