RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold frig quit working on AC and gas. Replaced the

Norcold frig quit working...

Norcold frig quit working on AC and gas. Replaced the control board to no avail. Checked fuse and power supply, OK. What else could be the cause?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time that was replaced? Do you need help finding the exact parts?

MFG'd 2007. This is probably the first time.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

200 Crossroads Zinger

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

2008

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you say quit working is the fridge turning on and is the interior light inside the box ON?

Do you have the model number of the Norcold?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The green power light was on but also the gas ***** *****ght even though the selector was on auto. The burner was on at this point. Selecting auto it would switch to gas. I don't have the number at this time.On a previously owned trailer replacing the control board fixed the problem. Not this time.

Understand, give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Normally if you get no cooling in the box on BOTH sources the thermistor, cooling unit or fans are the problem. You would want to try running the fridge on propane for 8 hours and then electric.

1. Some models have fans and you should hear them cycling on and off, if the fans were not coming on it would be a problem. IF your fridge is in a slide out it should have a fan(s).

2. The thermistor may also be at fault, inside the box on a back fin is the thermistor, it plugs into the light connector inside the box, disconnect it and let the fridge run several hours, when you disconnect it the fridge will go into a full cooling cycle. (most models you can do this)

3. The cooling unit is VERY suspect, the freezer will always get cold long before the box will so it is very possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer working. Inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution and when the circulation stops you loose cooling in the box. What you can try is tap the tubes that run back and forth on the backside of the fridge with a rubber mallet sometimes this will help with the circulation also driving the RV on bumpy roads may also help. Helped an owner yesterday with the same model and problem he reported today after driving on some bumpy roads the box started to cool, no guaranties but worth a try.

If you want to check some things out and get back to me with the model number that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Robert, the model is N811RT. After replacing the control board #628661

Yes so everything I mentioned applies. Try disconnecting the thermistor and see if the box cools.

This model has a fan option, if in a slide out it should get one.

IF the cooling unit has failed it will cost about 1/2 of a new fridge and the labor is more to install a cooling unit vs swapping the fridge out, I understand if this is not good news.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the gas light did not come on when auto was selected. Still no function. I let it run on ac and gas at least 30 min. each and the metal fasteners in the freezer that normally get cold very soon were still ambient.The frig isn't in a slide out and I don't remember ever hearing a fan but I am 70.

Yes the fridge would not show a gas light if you are in Auto and you would not hear a thing if it was working on electric, if you were to go outside and unplug the cord from the outlet the fridge should default to propane.

Probably does not have a fan if not in a slide out.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But the original unit that I just replaced did switch to gas even when it was set to auto. After replacing the control board it didn't scroll to gas mode like before. This controller only has auto and gas options.

Go unplug the cord from the outlet and see if it switches over to propane. It will stay on electric in Auto and then switch to propane if you loose the AC power.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Been there and done that. I understand the operation of auto.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Inplugged the thermistor and beat on the tubes. Still no evidence of cooling when I touch the metal hardware heads of the back of the freezer..Are you still there?

Yes I am here we help other RV owners as well, going as fast as I can. Let me review everything and I will respond.

Robert

If you unplugged the thermistor and tapped the tubes and waited 8 hours and still have no cooling I suspect the cooling unit is the problem.

You replaced the board and that is normally not the problem when you get no cooling on BOTH sources, the thermistor is suspect but the box did not cool. Not much more this can be.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wasn't being pushy just wondered if we weren't connected anymore. Just for future knowledge, the control board is only needed for ac operation?

NO, the control board needs DC voltage to run the circuits, so if you have a good DC supply going into board the fridge should be working on both gas and electric, without the DC supply the fridge would not even turn on. The AC power does not power on the fridge, the DC power does.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thank you for your help.

No problem at all.

Enjoy your weekend!

Robert