RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Why doesn't the water heater work. The hot water heater. Let…

Why doesn't the water...

Why doesn't the water heater work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

The hot water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Let me check on that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sandpiper 25 RLSS I am not sure of the year

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

My boss gave it to me to live in and I have only had hot water for about ten minutes a day for the first two weeks of living in the 5th wheel, now I don't get any hot water at all We have a maintenance guy to work on issues but he is over worked right now so I thought I'd check for him

6/2/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to give the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. Who am I helping today?

Does the water not get thot to the touch at the access panel on propane and AC power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been in this 5th wheel since May 17th. The water was getting very hot, enough to have to add cold. The problem was that it was only hot for about 10 minutes per day, just barely enough to take a shower or do my dishes. A reset light comes on, there is an on/off switch next to the red reset light. I turn the switch off, but not sure if it does any good. Many times I turn the switch back on and the reset light is still illuminated. For the past four days I have not had any hot water what so ever

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I heard from the maintenance guy that this is an electric water heater, but I am not sure. I am working for this company and they gave me this 5th wheel to live in. The maintenance guy is over worked and doesn't really know much about 5th wheels, he learns as he goes. And since I am tired of not having adequate hot water I thought I'd take it on myself. I hope for some good help, thank youI would have to check that out. Let me go outside and check the tempNo, it does not get hot at the access panel

Thanks

When you turn the water heater on ELEC can you hear humming coming from within the water heater?

When you turn the water heater on GAS can you small propane and hear the igniter clicking and feel heat from the WH exhaust port?

What model number is ***** WH?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know where the hot water heater isor how to switch the hot water to the gas instead of ACI suppose it would be near the hose where the water comes into the RV, huh
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nice mess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the propane hose, looks like there are two nozzles for water. I have heat with propane but it's not connected to the water heater
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like there's a nozzle under the small round blue panel towards the top of the water heater compartment

This is a gas-only unit and it looks like it has caught on fire. Can I see an image of the wires hanging from a top and a closer picture of the gas valve solenoid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That wire was a twist tie hanging to hold the panel closed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what a solenoid is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see an on/off switch back there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's a reset

Yes, that is a reset. it should be in the on position. Do you see any labels that tell you the model number of the WH so I can look at a wiring diagram? When you turn the WH on, inside, do you hear the ignitor clicking, and do you smell propane?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know where the WH is inside the RV

You have sent about a dozen pictures of the WH water heater.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's it for labels

Unfortunately, those do not show enough.

When you turn the WH on, inside, do you hear the ignitor clicking, and do you smell propane?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right, I understandNo I don't hear an ignitor nor do I smell propaneWell actually I just did my dishes with the hot water faucet on but cold water running out of the hot water tap. I came up into the bedroom area and smell propaneThe bedroom is over the water heaterBut how can it release propane when it's not hooked up to the propane tank?I just now turned the reset button off then back on and I hear a humming noise

Do you have anyone that can turn switches on, inside for you as you are outside to look and listen to the water heater. We need to be able to see if the igniter is sparking and if the gas is coming on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found the water heater in the RV

Do you have anyone that can turn switches on, inside for you as you are outside to look and listen to the water heater? We need to be able to see if the igniter is sparking and if the gas is coming on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I'll have to wait until tomorrowWhich will probably be around 3 or 4pm your timeI'm in Alaska
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well...there it is. I have to attend a class in the morning therefore I cannot work on this issue until about 4 pm your time. I will have the manual to this RV then also along with the maintenance man. I will text you then to see if you're available since we have the history of this issue. I appreciate your assistance in this matter. Thank you Moose

I believe you have a suburban 507a WH. The diag steps are here https://liveworkdream.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Suburban-RV-Water-Heater-Repair.pdf I believe the flame that has come back out the burner tube has likely damaged the gas solenoid valve and that is no longer allowing the gas to flow.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

It's been a couple of days since you replied. I am going to mark your question complete for now. Reply as needed.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help. My maintenance guy hasn't done anything yet. I gave him the information that you sent me yet nothing and still no hot water. Thanks again for your assistance!

Glad to help. In the future, if more help is needed from me. Open a new question at www.justanswer.com then write "For Chris-aka-Moose ONLY" at the beginning of your question.