RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Anwning issues. 2012 cougar light 21Rbs. No lights anwning.

Anwning issues Mechanic's Assistant:...

Anwning issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2012 cougar light 21Rbs

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

No lights anwning

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Awning

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkI am having a problem with my awning
5/27/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.   I see you are having some issues with your awning.  What is going on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the awning on my 2012 cougar light 21RBS . Taking the old one off and putting the new one on was a snap but I have run into problems getting theawning to roll back up
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Have you removed the roll pins on both sides of the awning tube?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I am here.  Do you see the the roll pins that are keeping the tension on the springs until it is completely installed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not understanding
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

On the end caps of the awning tube, There is a metal pin sticking out that is bent over on one end and a loop on the other end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This a power awning
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The rear of the tube has a spring in it to help retract the awning.  The spring is pre wound at the factory and you have to remove the pin for the awning to work.   Did you replace just the material or the whole tube?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced fabric
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

What did you do to prevent the tube from unwinding when you replaced the fabric?

does the motor turn the awning to go out, just will not bring it in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It spun out! We didn't know it had a spring in it. So when I put it back together I re tensioned the spring eight turnsThe awning will go out but it can't roll it back
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

was that in the out position or in the closed position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was what in out position
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you turn it the right way to add tension, and if it was out, you might need to add more tension to it.  What brand is it and length.  I will get you the right number of turns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
out and set the spring and then roll it back up and set it on the on the armsWell since the awning was in a position to be put back on when the spring let go I just turned it while I was still up On the ladder Rather than roll it backIs there any way I can talk to you on the phone rather text?I turned it clock wise 8 full turns
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you turn the awning arm or the tube?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The left end plug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I turned this clockwise 8times
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

In the full travel position, the turns for a 16 ft awning is 12, if in the out position, you need to add the additional 8.  so you need a total of 20.

Clockwise is the right direction.  I would suggest getting you a pair of vise grips while doing this and be careful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no shit lol
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Got to go for a while.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you suggesting to roll it all the way out the re tension the spring
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Either that or roll it up by hand

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
spring down and place each end in their respective arms then roll it up and see what happensMy thinking is to roll it out and remove the awning from the awning arms. Then Then re tension the spring by turning it clock wise 20 full turns lock the
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

That would be your best solution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By doing this I should know if I have the tension right
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I am going to recheck the number of turns for you, please stand by.  What is the brand and model number, it will be on the tube

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dometic 8950
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. give me a few minutes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The awning is a 16' wideJust thinking by rolling it the awning would I need to tool it by hand back up or can it rolled back up in the down position with all the tension on it?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

When the awning is closed, 8 to 10 wraps, with it being open add another 10.  So 20 is the right number of turns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you sir . I think I can do this at the camp ground this weekend
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Be careful.   and have a great trip

Glad I could help. I appreciate good ratings for my service today.   If you are not satisfied with my service today, please let me know so I can do better next time. There are also other experts available to help you as well.   Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day.

Happy RVing

***** *****

KevinS121

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks buddy
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure.

KevinS121