RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Bought a brand new battery two weeks ago it is now dead my…

Customer Question
Bought a brand new...

Bought a brand new battery two weeks ago it is now dead my interior lights and refrigerator are messed up could it be the converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Tried to but there is there are so many portions of the manual it only makes sense that it could be the

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2005 keystone fifth wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Keystone fifth wheel Montana 2005 30 ft and we bought a new battery thinking my husband had hooked the battery up the wrong way after this last winter and we are newbies to this and now the new battery is dead and the interior lights refrigerator light are not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I think that is all the information

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
5/24/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you plugged into power? IF you are plugged into power is the RV plugged in direct meaning NO adapters or extension cords.

It may take me several mins to reply back due to the volume of questions and the Holiday weekend coming up. We do help other owners out, I try to respond as quick as I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
plugged into power..no extension chords... Except off of trailer for outside dorm size beer fridge

SO few things.

When plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. You should have over 13 volts at the battery.

IF not look on the cables near the battery for a tripped DC breaker, below is a link for a picture, you may have a few breakers for other circuits. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if only one side shows voltage then the breaker is the problem. Many breakers have a tiny tab on the short side of them that will pop out when they trip, others are thermal and have no reset.

I would also locate the converter and check the output on it with a volt meter, you should have around 13.5 volts if you are plugged into power. IF the converter failed the battery is not going to charge.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me

Robert

Breaker.